Barley Forge Brewing Co. - Brewmaster
|Company:||Barley Forge Brewing Co.|
|Location:||Costa Mesa, CA|
Beverage - Alcohol
|Contact This Employer|
Brewmaster Sought For New Production Brewery And Tasting Room In Costa Mesa, California
Barley Forge Brewing Co. is a packaging brewery and tasting room slated to open in early Fall 2014 in Costa Mesa, California.
We just completed our buildout and are seeking an experienced brewer to join us at the ground floor. This is a unique opportunity for a brewer who is willing to make a significant commitment to help shape and establish Costa Mesa’s first and much-anticipated production craft brewery. Our 10,000 square feet of combined tasting room, small kitchen, bottling, aging and production brewing facilities are all housed in a mid-century industrial environment. We have built out the space with meticulous attention to detail and the result is a very unique and welcoming space.
Barley Forge Brewing Co. will be city’s first ever California ABC Type 23 production brewery. We are optimally located in the mixed-use SOBECA (South on Bristol, Entertainment, Culture and the Arts) District, a stone’s throw from the widely popular and much-publicized cutting edge shopping and eating destinations The Camp and The Lab. South Coast Plaza (one of the busiest malls in the US) is also a short distance away. The beautiful Pacific Ocean and some of Southern California’s best beaches are equally close. Climate-perfect Costa Mesa enjoys year-round sunshine and is adjacent to the populous and prosperous cities of Irvine, Newport Beach and Huntington Beach.
Barley Forge Brewing Co. will be brewing Belgian, West Coast, and German-style beers; some that conform to BJCP style guidelines, others that draw upon elements from the melting pot of cuisines and cultures of Southern California. We have recipes for core beers in our initial lineup that have been honed successfully in years of homebrewing and in competition, but also want our Brewmaster to actively and immediately polish those recipes as necessary, develop new recipes to flesh out our core line after we get open, develop our seasonal beers, as well as begin a barrel aging program upon inception. This is a great opportunity for a creative brewer who wants to make a splash in this great location in the heart of the Orange County Gold Coast.
We are looking for someone with good character, a solid work ethic, meticulous attention to detail, and a dedication to the craft of brewing. A sense of humor is a definite plus. An ability to work as a team player (no Napoleons please) is a must. Flexibility in hours is also required as the occasional Saturday and Sunday will be required, particularly for beer festivals and trade shows.
We have spent the last six months building out a three-vessel JVNW direct-fire system with seven 30bbl fermenters and a bottling line, all ready to begin brewing. Our systems are designed for expansion, with oversized glycol headers, a chiller that can be daisy-chained to additional units, a 15hp screw air compressor that can easily be expanded in capacity, and 10,000 square feet to work with. Our branding is very unique and strong and can be seen on our Facebook page at http://facebook.com/barleyforge.
We offer salary commensurate with experience and paid vacation.
Highlights of the job's duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Handle all aspects of wort production including raw material handling, brewhouse operations, vessel and heat exchanger CIP
• Manage yeast propagation including starters and cell counting
• Manage all aspects of cellar operations (gravity, pressure, temperature, pH, etc.)
• Implement and execute a QC program
• Handle all aspects of packaging beer to keg and bottle
• Handle cleaning and maintenance of cooperage
• Handle maintenance and repair (or supervise repair by outside contractors as appropriate) of all equipment
• Design, implement and manage barrel aging program
• Implement production schedules and maintain accurate and complete production records
• Scale up existing recipes and design new recipes and brew test batches on our More Beer! pilot system
• Submit all required excise tax paperwork on a regular basis to the TTB and ABC
• Supervise assistant brewers
• Attend key trade shows and beer festivals to represent the brand
• Cleaning and sanitizing with the devotion of a Monk
Required Job Experience
• Minimum of 3 years brewing in a packaging brewery in all of the areas outlined above is required. A formal brewing education is a plus but not a necessity.
• Professional references are required.
• Samples of beer brewed by the candidate will be required beyond the initial screening interview.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• A self-starting, entrepreneurial nature and meticulous attention to detail.
• Very good interpersonal skills.
• A devotion to and passion for the craft of brewing.
This should be obvious, but here we go anyway:
• Ability to lift and/or move up to 75 pounds repeatedly, employing traditional lifting methods
• Ability to reach frequently with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl on concrete and in small, confined spaces
• Ability to work in wet conditions and in an environment that is not climate controlled
• Ability to withstand being frequently exposed to strong and sometimes disagreeable odors and handle concentrated cleaning and sanitizing chemicals
• Ability to work and concentrate in a loud and noisy environment
• Ability to work standing for as much as 8+ hours per day
Barley Forge Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment background check required.
Please e-mail your resume, references, and cover letter in PDF format to Greg Nylen at firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls, please. Social media private messages will not be returned.
We look forward to hearing from you.