Beverage Manufacturer - Director of R&D, Quality and Regulatory
|Job Title:||Director of R&D, Quality and Regulatory|
Beverage - Non Alcoholic
|Contact This Employer|
Director of R&D, Quality and Regulatory
Develop product formulations for new product delivery (NPD) and established products with 3rd parties (contract Manufacturers/Suppliers). Manage all operations aspects of NPD with primary focus on product/package development & commercialization. Oversee maintenance of product & package specifications as well as the ongoing delivery of quality product while ensuring that regulatory compliance is sustained for all assigned brands. Serve as subject matter expert (SME) on processing and packaging capabilities.
1. Assess opportunities & cost-optimize existing product formulas. Develop new product formulas from bench top to commercial scale-up. Qualify products 3rd party manufacturers as appropriate.
2. Take point on project management for all technical/operational aspects of the NPD process. Serve as primary technical resource to the brand groups as assigned.
3. Manage and address all product and/or packaging related quality issues. Ensure prompt resolution and institution of corrective action to prevent recurrence. Take on consumer complaint resolution.
4. Ensure quality and regulatory compliance is sustained for all assigned products, 3rd party manufacturers and suppliers of ingredients & packaging. Conduct and/or arrange periodic audits of finished product and supplier materials manufacturing locations.
5. Proactively lead and/or participate in cost improvement initiatives. Develop justifications & lead project implementation.
6. Maintain specifications for all assigned products. Prepare specification and maintain submissions as required on 3rd party systems (e.g. – ICIX).
To succeed in this role, it is expected that you will have:
a) Food and/or beverage processing experience; hot fill & aseptic.
b) Well-developed project management skills.
c) Ability to work effectively with marketing.
d) Commercial and Supply Chain knowledge/experience
e) Passion to drive continuous improvement
f) Well-developed communication skills
g) Ability to manage change
h) Financial acumen
i) Flexibility and open-mindedness
· Musts: Bachelor’s Degree; 10+ years of increasing management responsibility and demonstrated achievement chemistry, packaging engineering, food science and/or engineering. Experience in hot fill and aseptic beverage processing.
· Wants: Master’s Degree; experience in an ERP systems environment and Genesis formula documentation software.
4. Key Performance Indicators
Success in this role will be measured through a balance of qualitative and quantitative performance measures that are aligned to the appropriate balanced scorecard. These will form part of your annual objectives and will include:
· Product quality compliance
· On-time new product commercialization
· On-time completion of assigned projects
· Consumer complaints within guidelines
· Full compliance with external specification requirements
5. Key relationships:
· SVP of Operations
· President & CEO
· External R&D/Quality resources
· External Suppliers
· Dir. Logistics & Ops. Planning
· Operations Partner
6. Area of Responsibility:
The Director of R&D, Quality and Regulatory is accountable to spearhead new product development, oversee full compliance to quality specifications and continuously identify and deliver value creation opportunities. This business is focused on hot fill and aseptic juice products. Knowledge of production technologies employed is essential to effective and efficient planning management of the material replenishment process across the breadth of the technology employed. Well developed interpersonal skills, applied both internally and externally, are critical for effective management of product supply and availability issues that will occur from time to time. Must coordinate and ensure the highest levels of supplier responsiveness related to new product introductions, product reformulations, and new manufacturing start-ups.