The Vice President of Distillery will be responsible for independently running and managing an organic sugarcane distillery producing 1,000-3,000 liters per day (150 days/yr), plus an alembic still for Mayan corn whiskey producing 250-500 liters/day (150 days/yr) during off season. Duties will include all aspects of the day-to-day running of the distillery encompassing, but not limited to: efficiently operating fermentation, distillation, power and steam generation, utilities (ex. cooling tower, chillers, RO, etc.), and waste water treatment facility.
This candidate should be able to manage labor efficiently, minor repairs/maintenance of equipment, strategic planning, budgeting & record keeping. This position requires a strong, practical knowledge of distillation and management. In order to be considered for the role applicants will need to have relevant distillery production and management experience with a solid track record and the ability to work independently as well as manage a distillery team.
- Manage the plant parts and supplies program.
- Determine parts, materials, tools and supplies.
- Manage cost-effective ways to order and store parts as well as establishing parts usage tracking system.
- Manage General Electrical Maintenance activities in boiler, distillery, dry house, and all plant Utilities. Supervise Electrician for scheduling daily work, skill development and training.
- Assist the Maintenance Manager by planning and scheduling the maintenance work order process and track productivity of jobs assigned to mechanics by analyzing, prioritizing, scheduling and coordinating their work.
- Manage projects for Continuous Improvement and annual shutdown.
- Track expenditures to budget, coordinate internal and external work scheduling, select/purchase equipment and materials and manage the construction at the plant for projects or daily improvements.
- Coordinates the retrieval and storage of process materials: sugar cane, bagasse, nutrients, chemicals, etc.
- Responsible for preparing the rum production and energy generation budgets.
- Inspect the fire suppression system and assist during fire suppression inspections.
- Testing requirements and investigate and evaluate savings opportunities. Track and review fuel efficiency.
- Develop documentation and procedures to manage the department’s compliance with governmental, environmental, plant safety programs and other training/administrative procedures.
- Ensure that distillate continuously meets the approved quality standards as established by Belcampo and consultants.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Engineering, Bio-Engineering, Microbiology and a minimum of 5 years experience in a manufacturing environment; OR Bachelor’s Degree in related field with 8-10 years experience in food/beverage manufacturing/production with at least 4-5 years in supervision or management.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, budgeting, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of operation/maintenance of boilers, familiarity with motors, pumps, and associated process related equipment.
- Knowledge of electrical distribution and control systems.
- Knowledge of construction techniques and procedures, including electrical, mechanical, and structural.
- Knowledge of chemistry and physics as applied to distillery, plant, and power house operations.
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills required.
- Computer literacy - Windows, Excel, Maintenance systems to include setup systems auto/manual (i.e.: PM, parts, work orders, downtime, etc.) with experience in Electrical Instrumentation and Controls that operate process equipment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and evaluate work performance expectations.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language.
- Experience with Process Automation systems or programs.
- Experience in distillery production operations and processing or related activities.
- Knowledge of manufacturing sanitation requirements.
- Leadership - Demonstrated ability to work with management and employees at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of the local Belize dialect and Spanish would be helpful but not necessary.
Competitive salary with benefits.