A round up of what’s going on in and around the beverage industry for the first half of the week.
- Neuro announces Safeway will be carrying Neuro nationally through its DSD partners. Link
- Gatorade is now offering a local version of its drink in honor of the Los Angeles Lakers. The 32 oz. purple and yellow bottles will be sold in the Los Angeles area “while supplies last.” Link
ON THE SHELVES
- Avery’s Beverages in New Britain, CT has made a “yellow snow” soda. Link
- Coca Cola North America is a couple of months away from completing a $33 million expansion project at a bottling facility in Northampton, Massachusetts. Link
- BAZI announced that it has engaged Advantage Sales & Marketing to assist with the expansion of the BAZI brand in the convenience store channel across the country. Link
IN THE MEDIA
- The Coca-Cola Company has awarded extended authorization to Jack Nadel International, an international marketing and merchandise agency in California, to support the national custom merchandising programs for Coca-Cola’s brand teams. Link
LAW, POLICY, AND ADVOCACY
- Members of Maine’s beverage industry cited indictments handed down in York County this week to suggest the current bottle-deposit law is prone to costly fraud and inefficient as a recycling tool. Link
- DeMoulas Super Markets, Inc. was charged in a complaint filed this month by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency with violating the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know to Act by failing to follow federal reporting requirements at its Market Basket perishables distribution warehouse facility in Andover, Mass.
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- Looking to connect with consumers at the local level and at the same time align with environmental causes, Coca-Cola and Odwalla are hooking up with cash-strapped state parks, sponsoring playgrounds, reforestation efforts and maps, according to Advertising Age. Link
TRENDS AND STUDIES
- PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Company have warned of cost inflation going into 2011 as both companies face up to commodity price increases. Link
- Wirtz Beverage Illinois Acquires Seagram’s Vodka Distributor continues to diversify robust portfolio.
- Coca-Cola said earlier this month that biodegradable packaging is “simply not a viable option.” Link
- Ball Corporation announced that Latapack-Ball Embalagens Ltda., the company’s majority-owned beverage can joint venture in Brazil, plans to build a new beverage can manufacturing plant in Alagoinhas, in the Brazilian state of Bahia. Link
- Future Perfect Worldwide, longstanding experts in executive recruiting for the food and beverage industry, has launched a new website. The site features interactive content and regularly updated news ‘features’ to educate and entertain. Link