DPS Reaffirms Commitment to Do Good Things with Flavor
PLANO, Texas–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Dr Pepper Snapple Group (NYSE: DPS) today issued its second full sustainability report, detailing significant progress toward the five-year environmental and social performance goals announced in 2010.
Titled “We Do Good Things with Flavor,” the new sustainability report underscores DPS’s commitment to corporate social responsibility (CSR) while growing its leadership position in flavored beverages. Available now at www.dpsgsustainability.com, the report reveals headway in five key priority areas: Environmental Sustainability, Health and Wellness, Philanthropy, Workplace and Ethical Sourcing.
“When we began as an independent, publicly traded company four years ago, we committed to growing our business in a way that delivers shareholder value while also ensuring environmental and social responsibility,” said Larry D. Young, president and CEO for DPS. “As our business has grown, so have our CSR programs and initiatives. We are proud of the meaningful progress we have made over the past few years and remain dedicated to delivering on our goals.”
While DPS’s inaugural sustainability report in 2010 established 2015 goals and outlined its approach to CSR, the new report highlights significant progress toward many of the defined benchmarks. The key accomplishments include:
- Encouraging active lifestyles and fitness with the launch of Let’s Play, a community partnership to get kids and families active nationwide through a three-year, $15 million grant to KaBOOM!. In its first year, DPS and KaBOOM! built or fixed up 528 playgrounds to give 1.3 million children access to play spaces.
- Recycling 81 percent of manufacturing waste, exceeding its original goal and putting the company well on the way toward achieving its increased goal of 90 percent of waste diverted. At the same time, the recycling efforts at just nine DPS sites in 2011 generated $1.3 million in revenue, demonstrating the business value created from such efforts.
- Filling 42 percent of its innovation pipeline in 2011 with projects focused on reduced calories, smaller portion sizes and improved nutrition. This puts the company only 8 percentage points away from reaching its 2015 goal to have half of its innovation projects focused on health & wellness.
- Replacing 33,000 out of 60,000 older vending machines and cooling units to be converted by 2015. Each new unit is up to 30 percent more efficient than the older one it replaced.
- Saving $25 million in costs and 31 million pounds of PET (plastic) through the light-weighting of packaging since 2007.
- Contributing more than 55,000 volunteer hours to philanthropic activities – more than halfway to its 2015 goal of 100,000 total volunteer hours.
For more information on DPS sustainability goals and initiatives, visit: www.dpsgsustainability.com.
About Dr Pepper Snapple Group
Dr Pepper Snapple Group (NYSE: DPS) is a leading producer of flavored beverages in North America and the Caribbean. Our success is fueled by more than 50 brands that are synonymous with refreshment, fun and flavor. We have 6 of the top 10 non-cola soft drinks, and 11 of our 14 leading brands are No. 1 in their flavor categories. In addition to our flagship Dr Pepper and Snapple brands, our portfolio includes 7UP, A&W, Canada Dry, Clamato, Crush, Hawaiian Punch, Mott’s, Mr & Mrs T mixers, Peñafiel, Rose’s, Schweppes, Squirt and Sunkist soda. To learn more about our iconic brands and Plano, Texas-based company, please visit DrPepperSnapple.com. For our latest news and updates, follow us at Facebook.com/DrPepperSnapple or Twitter.com/DrPepperSnapple.