Chia\Vie® is consistent with Medical Results as the First Ground Chia Seed and Fruit Smoothie
(Monterey, CA) — March 4, 2013 — A study from The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine shows that a diet that includes ground chia seeds is better than a diet of whole chia seeds. 1 The study shares that plasma ALA and EPA (Omega-3’s) were elevated only with milled chia seeds, with no significant changes measured following ingestion of whole chia seeds. The result of this study proves that ground chia seeds are more easily absorbed by the body and provide more substantial levels of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids than whole chia seeds. This is great news for the growing chia industry and especially for Chia\Vie® (www.DrinkChiaVie.com) the world’s first bottled ground chia and fresh fruit smoothie.
Chia seeds boast higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids than any other plant source on earth. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine and other landmark studies over the past three years have shown a myriad of positive health benefits associated with omega-3 intake. Notable omega-3 studies demonstrated that the fatty acid reduces inflammation,2 promotes heart health,3 and plays a critical role in brain function,4 as well as normal growth and development.5 The positive health benefits of omega-3’s in reducing the risk of heart disease prompted the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to support a qualified health claim status for EPA and DHA.6-7
Chia\Vie’s® ground chia and fresh fruit smoothies deliver the optimum health benefits of the superfood seed in a great tasting beverage that not only has a smoother consistency with finely ground chia, but studies now suggest that these refreshing drinks also provide even more omega-3 absorption than their whole-seed counterparts. The market momentum of chia seeds continues to build by simply being the nutrient powerhouses that they are. Chia seeds contain an extremely high concentration of omega-3’s, which gram for gram have eight times more omega-3 than salmon.8 A landmark medical study from UCLA Medical School in 2012 confirmed that omega-3 fatty acids are critical for optimal brain function.9 In addition to omega-3, chia seeds also boast a high dose of recommended daily calcium, protein, iron, fiber and potassium.10
The positive results from The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine further substantiate the benefits of Chia\Vie® and parent company Bare Nutrition’s commitment to a healthy lifestyle offering a great tasting, health boosting, all-natural chia beverage line. Chia\Vie’s® refreshing fresh fruit smoothies are vegan, gluten-free and GMO-free with a deliciously smooth texture and added health benefits of ground chia seeds.
Chia\Vie® by Bare Nutrition is a line of delicious, low calorie chia seed and fruit blend smoothies made from all-natural ingredients. Containing real fruit with no added sugar, Chia\Vie® is both vegan and gluten-free. Chia\Vie® is an excellent source of natural energy and is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber. Available in three delicious flavors including Acerola-Pina Smoothie, Mango-J Smoothie, and Banapple-Berry Smoothie. Chia\Vie® is shelf stable and perfect for on-the-go. For further information about Chia\Vie®, please visit www.DrinkChiaVie.com.
1. Nieman, DC, Gillitt, N, Fuxia, J, et al. Chia Seed Supplementation and Disease Risk Factors in Overweight Women: A Metabolomics Investigation. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2012;18(7):700-708.
2. Sun Q, Ma J, Campos H, et al. Blood concentrations of individual long-chain n-3 fatty acids and risk of nonfatal myocardial infarction. Am J Clin Nutr 2008;88:216–223.
3. Leaf A. Prevention of sudden cardiac death by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Cardiovasc Med. (Hagerstown). 2007; 8 Suppl 1:S27-29.
4. Z.S. Tan, W.S. Harris, A.S. Beiser, et al. Red blood cell omega-3 fatty acid levels and markers of accelerated brain aging Neurology February 28, 2012 78:658-664
5. Eilander A, Hundscheid DC, Osendarp SJ, Transler C, Zock PL. Effects of n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on visual and cognitive development throughout childhood: a review of human studies. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2007; 76:189-203.
6. Nieman, 700.
7. American Heart Association Nutrition Committee, Lichtenstein AH, Appel LJ, Brands M, et al. Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee. Circulation 2006;114:82–96.