The 2008 FMI Show held at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas from May 4 – 7, showcased over 25 beverage companies and their brands to supermarket retailers and wholesalers.
Talking Rain was busy promoting their new enhanced activWater at the show. Packaged in the same 19 oz. container as their Twist and Twist Organics line, the product is 100 percent natural and available in six SKUs including “Revive” – Tangerine Ginger, “Resist” – Pomegranate Berry, “Focus” – Dragonfruit, “Vigor” – Triple Berry, “Power” – Strawberry Kiwi and “Balance” – Black Berry.
We spotted the following new and updated products at the show.
- A. Lassonde, Inc.’s Tropical Grove Iced Teas and fruit juices are now available in aseptically packed 70 percent renewable packaging and will soon be launching a line of tetrapak wines.
- Adams Flavors, Food & Ingredients – has launched their first RTD brand. Laozi Tea, an organic line of green, red, black, and white teas is available in five flavors including Prickly Pear Hibiscus Fusion, Passion Fruit Tangerine Fusion, Black Berry Rooibos Fusion, Ginger Rosemary Lemon Fusion, and Apple Blossom Fusion..
- AdvancedH2O – has added an Orange flavor to their existing purified kids’ water, Color Coolerz brand.
- Ardea – has now launched Nutrisoda in 12 oz. bottles primarily for on-premise accounts in five SKUs including Immune, Calm, Focus, Energize, and Radiant
Campbell Soup Company – has added an Acai Mixed Berry flavor to their V8 Fusions line.
- Coca-Cola – The company showed off a scientific approach to merchandising to specific stores through its “Shopper Segmented Merchandising” program. The strategy is based on various methodologies such as beverage purchasing behavior, where each store has its own “DNA.” The process customizes, matches, and promotes specific brands to help retailers fulfill shopper’s needs. In addition to their “Look of Success” strategy, new products were prevalent: Simply Orange has two new SKUs including Simply Orange with Pineapple and Simply Orange with Mango launching on August 18th. Jugos de Valle, a producer of non-carbonated beverages in Latin America and acquired in 2006, has a new line of nectars available in nine flavors including mango and peach. POWERade ZERO has replaced POWERade OPTION. Minute Maid has two new SKUs including Pomegranate Flavored Tea and Pomegranate Lemonade.
- CytoSport – Muscle Milk is now available in a 14 oz. PET bottle and has added Chocolate Malt and Strawberries n’ Cream to the line. Muscle Milk Light is also now available. CytoMax has seven functional beverages in new PET packaging including Citrus, Orange Tangerine, Tropical Fruit, Pomegranate Berry, Acai Berry, Dragonfruit and Goji Berry Green Tea.
- Groove Energy – an 85 percent organic all natural energy drink made with Austrian spring water launched at the show.
- IN ZONE Brands – has launched a new innovative package extension to the TummyTickler juice line which is now available in a 4 oz. 8+1 pack for grocery.
- Kid’s Only – a PET water with Marvel Comics characters will be launching a Batman SKU this summer.
- NBI Juiceworks – has been rather busy lately in launching three lines of “Drenchers.” The first is an all natural 100% super juice available in “Endurance” – Grape Apple, “Power” – Protein Juice Orange Cream, “Restore” – Apple-Kiwi-Mango, “Immunity” – Fruit & Veggie Berry, and “Heart Healthy” – Tropical Passion. A Fit ‘N Lean line with 10 Calories per 8 oz. glass is also available in the same five SKUs. Finally, a four SKU line of fortified Coffee/Teas titled “Drenchers Super Blend” is available in Iced Coffee, Mocha Cappuccino, Chai Tea Latte, and Chocolate Raspberry Frappe.
- Sport Energy – launched five months ago is available in Cran Grape, Mango Cream, Raspberry Cream, and Tropical.
- Sunsweet – has introduced PlumSmart – a 100% all natural plum juice.
- Totally Organica Beverages – an organic line of flavored sparkling water is now available and in eight SKUs including Lemon Lime, Cranberry, Berry, Green Apple, Raspberry, Pomegranate, Melon, and Mint.
Check out these beverages and more in our photo gallery of FMI 2008, sponsored by Talking Rain.