• Dr Pepper Snapple Group reported first quarter 2009 results. Net sales, as adjusted, up 4% on 5% BCS volume growth. Reported net sales down 3%. Company generated $178 million of cash from operations and repaid $155 million of debt in the quarter. Link
Law, Policy and Advocacy
• Minnesota banned the use of BPA in baby bottles and other containers for use by children. Link
• Coca-Cola agreed to settle class-action suit that contends Fuze had no scientific basis in marketing Slenderize as a weight-reducer. The company agreed to pay $4.5 million to affected customers, who can file claim forms at fuzesettlment.com. As part of the settlement, Coke agreed to modify language on packages and promotional materials but won’t have to get rid of the Slenderize name.
• An Oregon watchdog group said prisons should stop serving sodas to inmates. Link
• PepsiCo CEO Indra K. Nooyi, Hillary Clinton and two other women will receive the Barnard Medal of Distinction at Barnard College’s Commencement ceremony on May 18th.
• The Boston Globe wrote an article on new research that suggests drinking coffee might be good for you. Link
• A new book covers the history of the Smirnov Vodka brand. Link
• PepsiCo launched an online resource for restaurants called growmyrestaurant.com
• BASF released a podcast explaining why caffeine works. Link
• O.N.E Coconut Water and O.N.E. Amazon Açai are now available in both the 11.2 oz and 1 liter sizes at Shop Rite and Stop & Shop. The 1 liter size of O.N.E Coconut Water is newly available at the legendary Stu Leonard’s stores, also in the New York area. O.N.E Coconut Water with a Splash will be available through Manhattan Beer this August. Manhattan Beer currently carries all seven existing O.N.E SKUs.
• Junior Johnson Brand Premium Sweet Iced Tea and Lemonade will be available in all Lowes Food stores throughout North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. Link
• Celsius Holdings, Inc. introduced Celsius on-the-go packets. Link
• Icelandic Glacial announced that Jana vet Paul Day has been appointed Director of Sales. Mr. Day will be responsible for leading the sales effort in the North Eastern United Sates. Link
• Wet Planet Beverages and SD West announced that another JOLT Product of Excellence Award ceremony was held on March 11th. The JOLT award ceremony is part of the SD West conference held in Silicon Valley every spring.
• Conquest Racing welcomed Forte Healthy Energy Shot jas an associate sponsor. Link
• O.N.E will offer their range of beverages during A.I.D.S Walk New York (5/17/09), San Francisco (7/19/09) and Los Angeles (10/19/09). O.N.E Coconut Water, Amazon Açai, Cashew Fruit and Coffee Fruit drink were offered in the Kentucky Derby V.I.P lounge; O.N.E Coconut was included in all gift bags distributed to V.I.P Derby attendees. O.N.E will provide their products to each local relay chapter of the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.
• Stylist Robert Ramos partnered with of the Got Milk? and Toma Leche campaign to promote milk as the way to get beautiful hair with a spot that includes Medusa hair. Link
• Go Fast! Jet Pack pilot Eric Scott has been inducted into the Guinness Book of World Records. Link