- Energy shots caught the attention of the mainstream media this week, with an article in the New York Times Link and a segment on NBC’s Today Show Link. For perspective, here’s Beverage Spectrum’s cover story from April 2008. Link
- Members of Congress were briefed on two new studies that question whether bottled water is safer than water directly from the faucet. Link
- The American Beverage Association and the International Bottled Water Association announced their co-sponsorship of InterBev 2010, which will take place September 22-24, 2010, at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla. Link
- Naked Juice announced that it has become the first nationally-distributed brand to transition to a 100 percent post-consumer recycled plastic bottle. Link
- BevNET announced early sign-up for its 2010 Supplier and Services Guide. Link
ON THE SHELVES
- Native Waters, LLC, is introducing Native Water, a sustainable bottled water in environmentally friendly packaging. Link
- The Gatorade Company is unveiling the Limited Edition Jordan Series of Gatorade to commemorate Michael Jordan’s induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame this fall. Link
- Grass Roots Beverage of Boca Raton, Fla. kicked off distribution of Shock RTD Iced Coffees for the entire state of Florida starting July 13th. Link
- Revolution announced that Albertsons is the newest retailer carrying the company’s 3D line in all of its Texas and Louisiana stores.
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- TeaZazz Sparkling Tea partnered with the Los Angeles Zoo for Music in the Zoo July 14th and 24th. Link
- The Coca-Cola Co. will unveil a new 49-foot-tall Coca-Cola Contour bottle at Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves, on July 16th. Link
- Evian unveiled its new Evian Live Young advertising campaign. Link
- Sunkist is issuing a creative challenge for America’s kids to post designs for lemonade stands online. Link
- ROCKSTAR Energy Drink CEO Russell Weiner announced that the company will expand its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered corporate policies and make $100,000 in donations, shared among several prominent LGBT organizations. The announcement follows a wave of anti-ROCKSTAR publicity in the gay community. Link
- TrimWater recently participated with The New Jersey Kings of the AIFA as they held their first open tryouts at Rider University in Lawrenceville NJ.
- Piranha Water will be provided to all the competitors as the official water of the ASA Late Model Series “Challenge Events” at the Salem, Indiana “Trials 200.” Link
- Hansen Beverage Company announced that it has partnered with promoters Ricky Johnson and Mitch Covington in an off-road racing series known as The Traxxas TORC Truck Series, presented by AMSOIL.
- Pepsi sponsored the 2009 Major League Baseball All-Star charity concert. Link
- Nestle Waters North America issued a press release that declared that the company leads the bottled water industry in testing and reporting on the quality of its products, and supports mandatory disclosure by all bottled water manufacturers of water sources and test results concerning water quality. The statement coincides with congressional hearings into the quality of bottled water. (see above) Link
- Celsius Holdings, Inc. announced the launch of their newly re-designed website: www.celsius.com. Link
- Go Fast Sports and Beverage Co. announced distribution at five Arizona convenience store chains: Express Stop, Quick Mart, 4 Sons Food Stores, Dunlap Oil and Danny’s Family Car Wash. Link
IN THE MEDIA
- Clayton Christopher, founder and chief executive officer of Sweet Leaf Tea, is on the cover of the August edition of Inc. Magazine. The feature story inside the magazine gives insight and advice to individuals aspiring to build their own dream company. Link
- Food Product Design published an article on formulating beverages with less sugar. Link
- The Los Angeles Times published a story about athletes turning to cherry juice to reduce muscle pain and soreness after workouts. Link
- Advertising Age spoke to Yolanda White, Coca-Cola‘s assistant Vice President of African-American marketing, on how Coke has targeted African-American consumers. Link
- The Boston Globe published an issue of its Sunday magazine focusing on water issues, including the movement away from bottled water. Link
- OOBA was picked by Good Morning America as a beverage and trend to watch.
TRENDS AND STUDIES
- Coffee and general caffeine intake may affect a woman’s levels of estrogen and other sex hormones, a new study suggests. Link
- New Health Canada data on bisphenol-A supports the safety of bottled water, baby food and infant formula products, according to the American Chemistry Council. Link
- An emerging body of scientific research about probiotics was presented at “Protective Nutrients, Are They Here To Stay?” an annual Harvard Medical School Division of Nutrition Annual Postgraduate Nutrition Symposium. Link
- The amount of carbohydrates a woman eats, as well as the overall “glycemic load” of her diet, impact her chances of developing breast cancer, Swedish researchers report. Link
- AquaHydrate issued a press release rounding up recent studies criticizing sugar-sweetened beverages. Link
LAW, POLICY, AND ADVOCACY
- Congress is considering a tax on sugary beverages to pay for health-care reform, according to the Washington Post. Link
- Americans Against Food Taxes, a new coalition that includes the American Beverage Association and convenience store chains among other interested parties, formed to oppose new taxes on beverages and food currently being considered by some in Congress. Link
- PepsiAmericas, Inc. announced that its second quarter 2009 earnings conference call will be webcast live over the internet on Tuesday, July 28 at 11 a.m. EDT. PepsiAmericas will issue its financial results before the market opens that morning. The live webcast and a copy of the company’s earnings release will be accessible at PepsiAmericas’ website at www.pepsiamericas.com. A replay of the conference call will be available at the same site later that day.
- Cheerwine announced that is has increased unit sales by 30 percent over the last year.
- The Pepsi Bottling Group, Inc. reported second quarter 2009 net income of $211 million. This compares to net income of $174 million that the Company reported in the second quarter of 2008. Link
- Reed’s, Inc. announced that, according to industry data, Reed’s and Virgil’s are increasing their market share at a rate of over 450 percent greater than the overall Premium Soft Drink category in the U.S. Link
- PepsiCo Inc.’s proposed takeover of its two largest bottlers isn’t key to the soft-drink company’s operations, said Chief Executive Officer Indra Nooyi. Link
- Skinny Nutritional Corp. announced it has completed its acquisition of the trademark “Skinny Water” and a number of other related “Skinny” Marks from Peace Mountain Natural Beverages Corporation. Link
- Blast Cap Technologies LLC, Inc. entered into an agreement for a line of dosing and dispensing caps with Integrated Beverage Group, LTD. Link
- Standard-Knapp introduced the Versatron Active Product Transport case packer. Link
- NatureWorks LLC, maker of plastics made from plants, said personnel at its Blair, Nebraska, Ingeo manufacturing plant have installed and commissioned additional equipment allowing the facility to increase production from 70 metric tons to 140 metric tons. Link
- Red Bull has denied a published report that it plans to launch its recently-released energy shots in the United Kingdom. Link
- The Coca-Cola Co. uses Japan as a testing ground for new products, according to a recent article from Forbes. Link
- Jimmy Osuna, who counts Quaker Oats, Sobe Beverages and Snapple among his former employers, has joined HER Energy as National Director of Sales.
- Fuzzee Bee Beverage Company Colorado, creator of ZUN the Brain Boosting Energy Drink, announced that it has added Lance Gentry, former IZZE Beverage manager and Sam Simpson, former CEO of Stewart’s Beverages, to its advisory board. Link
- PepsiCo announced the appointment of Jonathan McIntyre, PhD., to the newly created position of senior vice president, PepsiCo R&D Global Beverages. McIntyre will lead the R&D beverage transformation agenda worldwide. He will be responsible for developing products with real functional and natural advantages while continuing to apply credible science to enhance the portfolio of PepsiCo’s beverage brands.
- HyDrive added a Berry Blast flavor to its line of energy chews based on the energy drink by the same name. Link
- A bear in Colorado broke into a bar and consumed 25 pounds of Pepsi syrup. Link
- The Daily News in Galveston County Tex. published a round-up of recipes that include cola as an ingredient. Link
- Etsy.com has a Mountain Dew shampoo for sale. Link