- Rockstar gels with PepsiCo, adds products – Rockstar Energy has found a home with PepsiCo, Inc. and plans to spend the bulk of 2010 pushing four new products, including two that could expand the brand’s reach, and one that returns Rockstar to old ground. Link
- Reporter’s notebook: Pepsi Max and Mtn Dew – PepsiCo Inc. appears poised to tinker with new flavors for two of its largest flanking brands, according to the company’s recent trademark filings. Link
- The 2009 economic slump led to a 30 percent decline in food and beverage product launches, according to a recent review of Mintel’s Global New Product Database. Link
- BevNET.com, Inc. Takes Environmental Action and Joins 1% for the Planet – The industry was stepping up and taking environmental concerns seriously, and it has also made it clear that BevNET and Beverage Spectrum should step up as an organization and to take responsibility for our own environmental impact. Link
- BEVFORCE and BevNET recently conducted a survey assessing current and future attitudes on beverage employment, staffing and job security. Results revealed that beverage professionals are anticipating that 2010 will be a better year than 2009. Link
ON THE SHELVES
- Chicago-based Tenaya LLC introduced MADE, a line of organic, natural beverages that combine green tea and fruit juices with floral and herbal extracts. The beverage comes in eight flavors: Strawberry Mojito, Strawberry Lemonade, Blackberry Peach, Blueberry Lemonade, Cranberry Limeade, Pomegranate Lemonade, Pomegranate Mojito, and Raspberry Peach. Link
- Teacrest Corporation announced the formation of its private label brand division to meet the specific needs of store chains and distributors for their own brand of premium RTD all-natural and organic teas. Link
- Next Generation Beverage announced the introduction of Sin Vitality Drink, Sin-Free Vitality Drink and Serenity Zen Beverage. Link
- Game Juice announced that it has selected IAO Management as its exclusive sales agent for the Midwestern United States. Based in Michigan, IAO will manage sales for Game Juice Inc. in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. Link
- Skinny Nutritional Corp. announced that it has entered into a distribution agreement with Landover, MD-based Canada Dry Potomac Corporation. Under the agreement, Canada Dry Potomac will bring Skinny Water to stores in Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia. Link
- Bond Laboratories, Inc. announced that Cherokee Distributing Company will distribute Resurrection Anti-Hangover in twenty-two east Tennessee counties including the University of Tennessee. Link
- Raw Foods International, manufacturers of Raaw Juices, has entered into an agreement with Coza Distributors serving accounts throughout Southern Florida. The first launch of Raaw will be in Bravo Supermarkets in the Pembroke Pines area, Florida.
LAW, POLICY, AND ADVOCACY
- The Sugar Association would like you to know that the media, when referring to sugar-sweetened sodas, is usually referring to products containing high-fructose corn syrup. Link
- The FDA sent warning letters to SweetSommer Water Bottling Company of Gap Mills, W.V. and Girand Springs of Rhode Island citing “serious violations.” Link
- The University of Portland is banning the sale of disposable plastic water bottles on its campus. Link
- The Coca-Cola Co., Inc. CEO Muhtar Kent urged an audience at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland to find solutions to growing water shortages. Link
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- RelaxZen has been chosen to provide product for current and former NFL players at the Super Bowl Players Gift Lounge. The company will provide RelaxZen DAY, NIGHT and SPORT Thursday Feb. 4 from 9am to 9pm at the official Players Hotel in Miami.
- PepsiCo launched a new campaign called Pepsi We Inspire which aims to tap into bonds between women by creating an online platform built for them. Celebrities and consumers alike can post to the site, and PepsiCo has chosen Disney actress Raven-Symone as a spokeswoman for the project. Link
- Promoters for Dr Pepper appeared at the New York Stock Exchange with a song and dance number asking traders “wouldn’t you like to be a Pepper too?” Link
- Lucas Oil Products and Rockstar Energy Drink finalized an agreement that brings the Rockstar Energy brand into the complete spectrum of Lucas Oil motorsports endeavors. Rockstar Energy Drink was also named “The Official Drink” in each of the involved series. The properties that encompass this program include: the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series, Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League, Lucas Oil ASCS Sprint Car Dirt Series, Lucas Oil Drag Boat Racing Series and newly renamed Rockstar Energy Modified Racing Series. Link
- BeBevCo Chief Operating Officer Daisy Ramirez now owns a team in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Link The company also announced it is the primary sponsor of the #01 Chevy Silverado in the 2010 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
- Bazi, a division of XELR8 Holdings, Inc. announced undefeated american heavyweight mixed martial artist Bobby Lashley as its newest brand ambassador. Under the multi-year agreement, Lashley will promote the drink through cooperative marketing initiatives, appearances, and promotion on his personal publicity portals. Link
- The Coca-Cola Co., Inc.‘s upcoming Super Bowl commercials will feature characters from The Simpsons and a sleepwalker in Africa, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Link Consumers can currently get a peek at the commercials through Facebook. Link
TRENDS AND STUDIES
- A common flavor solvent may boost the stability of citral, a citrusoil-based flavor compound, and enhance formulations of beverage concentrates, says a new study. Link
- Of those shoppers who turned to private labels during the economic downturn, 37 percent will continue to purchase them once the economy recovers, according to BrandSpark’s 2010 Best New Products Awards American Grocery Shopper Study. Link
- German scientists reported in the Journal of Natural Products that they had found 10 written reports of seizures linked to ginkgo biloba. Link
- Sensient Technologies Corporation will hold its conference call to discuss 2009 fourth quarter and year-end results at 10:00 a.m. CST on Friday, February 5, 2010. To make a reservation for the conference call, contact InterCall Teleconferencing at (706) 645-6973 and refer to the Sensient Technologies Corporation conference call. A transcript of the call will also be posted on the Company’s web site at www.sensient-tech.com after the call concludes. Link
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. will issue its fourth quarter and full year 2009 financial results on Thursday, Feb. 25, before the market opens. Larry Young, DPS president and CEO, and John Stewart, CFO, will discuss the results during an earnings conference call for financial analysts and investors at 10 a.m. CST that day. The conference call and slide presentation will be accessible live through the DPS website at http://www.drpeppersnapple.com.
- Bond Laboratories, Inc. announced revenue from continuing operations of $1,773,000 for the quarter ending Dec. 31 as compared to $1,043,999 for the comparable quarter last year, an increase of 70%. Link
- Ball Corp. reported that its sales rose and its profit more than doubled in its fiscal fourth quarter compared with a year earlier. In the quarter that ended Dec. 31, Ball earned $81.4 million compared with $33.8 million a year earlier. Link
- Orange juice prices will rise 6 percent to 9 percent in April as a result of freeze-related losses to the Florida orange crop, Minute Maid reported. Link
- Lifeway Foods, Inc. announced that it will donate 5 percent of the proceeds from all U.S. sales of Lifeway and Helios brand Kefir and ProBugs products generated through shipments during the month of February to the U.S. Fund for UNICEF in support of Haitian relief efforts. Link
- BeBevCo announced it has donated six pallets of Piranha Water to the relief project. Link
- Cera Products donated ten pallets of its rice-based oral electrolyte drink, CeraLyte, to survivors of the earthquake in Haiti. Link
- DNA Beverage Corporation announced that it has joined with the NSSA Southeast District to provide clothing essentials to the Port a Prince Orphanage. Link
- Anheuser-Busch is providing 1,764 cases of drinking water for use by South Dakota residents affected by recent freezing rain and snow storms that have left thousands of residents without water and electricity. Link
- Crispin Cider Company announced the acquisition of California based Fox Barrel Cider Company in an all stock transaction. The acquisition includes all assets, including the cidery located in Colfax, Cali., and liabilities. Link
- Ethical Naturals Inc. of San Anselmo, Cali. announed that it recently completed the PCT and U.S. patent application filing process for their ORAC-15,000 natural antioxidant from grapes.
- Yakult will begin U.S. production of its probiotic dairy drink in 2012. Link
- Monsanto Company plans to become a part of the North Carolina Research Campus, a facility under development in Kannapolis, North Carolina, and a strategic alliance with the David H. Murdock Research Institute. Link
- One year after the natural, zero-calorie sweetener’s introduction to the American market, PureCircle claims that stevia is becoming mainstream. Link
- Flavor & Fragrance Specialties announced the addition of Stephen Graeme as Senior Account Executive. Prior to joining FFS Graeme worked in management at companies such as FONA International; Flavors & Fragrances, Inc; Firmenich, Inc; Wild Flavors, Inc; and his own consulting business. In his role as Senior Account Executive, Steve will be responsible for managing accounts and business development strategies.
- Cathiann Leonardi has joined Allen Flavors as Senior Flavorist of Allen’s Flavor Laboratory. Diane Chesky has joined us as Director of Purchasing.
- DRY Soda Co. announced Terry Sperstad as Sr. Vice President of Sales. From 2001 to 2008, Sperstad served as Director of Sales at Red Bull North America, Inc.
- Bill Palagonia, former President of Pure Source Essential Oils & Aroma Chemicals, recently joined the Premium Ingredients International team. Link
- An Iowa City bar busted for selling Jell-O shots to an underage patron argued they hadn’t broken the rules on alcoholic beverages because Jell-O isn’t a liquid and, thus, can’t be a beverage. The judge disagreed. Link