- From Beverage Spectrum Magazine: Back in Blackberry – Hint's founders chose a clear plastic label and a clear PET bottle to demonstrate the purity of their (also clear) beverage. Distributors liked it; packaging designers liked it, and reviews highlighted that striking appearance as a strong point in the brand’s favor. But those clear labels almost killed the brand. Link
- Big beverage firms across all categories will continue to merge with and acquire smaller brands as they reach the limit of how much of their core categories they can own, according to a new report from Rabobank. Link
- Note: because of BevNET Live Summer 10 (in just four days), BevNET will not send a newsletter on Tuesday, June 8. Visit bevnet.com and bevnetlive.com for information on the show as it happens.
- Poll: In light of consumers keeping a tight hold on their wallets, how should beverage brands respond? href=”http://www.votos.com/poll/1065_In_light_of_consumers_keeping_a_tight_hold_on_wallets” target=”_blank”>Link
ON THE SHELVES
- 666 Ventures LLC announced the launch of 666 Energy Drink. 666 Energy Drink is available in two flavors, "Virgin Sacrifice Cherry" and "Lucifer’s Lemonade." Link
- Thomas Kemper Soda announced the launch of Purely Natural Soda in Whole Foods Market. Link
- The FRS Company announced two new drinks sweetened with stevia. The new products are available in ready-to-drink cans in two flavors, Apricot Nectarine and Orange. Link
- Neuro announced that Savemart has picked up Neuro in all its stores in Northern California.
- White Horn Beverage, LLC announced that it has expanded its distribution footprint with New York based Xelent Distributors. Link
- Revolution announced a distribution deal for Revolution 3D with SPIKE Beverage, LLC in Arizona. Link
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- WAT-AAH! Launched The Show Me WAT-YOU-GOT! Web-Based Kid Talent and Skills Challenge. Show Me WAT-YOU-GOT! is a new website (wat-you-got.com) encouraging kids between the ages of 5 and 17 to participate and show off their talents and skills in music, soccer, dance, art, and many other categories. Link
- Red Bull, a brand with a history of clever athlete sponsorships, signed NBA Finals star and Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo last April, when he wasn't on anybody else's radar, CNBC reported. Link
- vitaminwater partnered with Complex.com for a "mixtape" download promotion. Link
TRENDS AND STUDIES
- TV ads overwhelmingly promote fat and sugar with precious few vegetables and fruits, according to a study from Armstrong Atlantic State University. Link
- Consumers across all income levels are planning to spend less this summer compared to a more optimistic outlook in summer 2009, according to a new survey from the SymphonyIRI Group.
- People who drink a lot of caffeine develop a tolerance to its stimulatory effects, according to a study in the Neuropsychopharmacology journal. Link
- United Natural Foods, Inc. announced that UNFI and Whole Foods Market extended their Primary Distribution Agreement for an additional seven years. Link
IN THE MEDIA
- Production of high-fructose corn syrup dropped 11 percent between 2003 and 2008 while use of refined sugar rose by seven percent, reported public radio's Marketplace. Link
- United Natural Foods, Inc. reported net sales of $985.7 million for the fiscal quarter ending May 1, an increase of approximately $96.2 million, or 10.8 percent, from net sales of $889.5 million recorded in the same quarter of fiscal 2009. Link
- Energy shots and energy drinks are not suitable for children, young teenagers, pregnant women and people sensitive to caffeine, according to a new risk profile commissioned by the New Zealand Food Safety Authority. Link
- Welch's announced the appointment of Robert T. DeMartini, President and CEO of New Balance, to its board of directors. Link
- Rooibee Red Tea announced the recent hiring of Heather Howell as the company’s first CTeaO. Howell recently served as a leader of Humana’s diversity and talent outreach.
- EepyBird released the video of its Coke Zero and Mentos-powered rocket car. Link
- A bottle of Lifeway Kefir appeared in the kitchen of Miranda Hobbes in 'Sex and the City 2.' Link
- Sales for 11 of the biggest beer brands fell in the four weeks ending May 16, according to SymphonyIRI, and only four of the top 30 — Keystone Light, Modelo Especial, Yuengling and Pabst Blue Ribbon — posted gains. Link
- For anyone who cares (and apparently many, many people do): Actress Lindsey Lohan, while under house arrest, is attempting to replace her alcohol habit with a bigger Red Bull habit. Link