The Flow: BevNET’s Re-Do; Coke Gets Green Light; ZICO in Target
The Flow might be still be settling into its digs here on the new BevNET home page — there’s still no hook for its bathrobe, even – but there’s news galore in this edition: Coke’s VEB team has to be smiling because ZICO hit its Target while the Federal Trade Commission said it won’t shoot down the buyout Honest Tea. There are new products from Whynatte Latte and Honeydrop, among others, and a big shift at First Beverage Group, where Joth Ricci is now COO.
- BevNET: 15 Years and a new site look. Link
- ZICO has signed a contract to be the only coconut water sold in Target stores. Link
- The FTC has announced that a Coca-Cola Co. purchase of Honest Tea would meet antitrust approval, according to the news agency Reuters. Link
- Sign Up: BevNET’s 2011 Supplier & Services Guide. Link
- Winter 2011 Fancy Food Show Recap. Link
ON THE SHELVES
- NuVitae launched a new fiberceutical drink. Link
- Honeydrop Beverages is releasing four new flavors: lemon ginger, lemon honey, green tea and lemon tea.
- Whynatte Latte launched a new 4-pack. Link
- Pitaya Plus is soon to be in 120 Whole Foods via Green Shoots Distribution. Link
- Kentucky Eagle, Inc. has agreed to distribute Rainforest Cola in Lexington and Louisville markets.Link
- PRE Beverage Co. announced the launch of PRE Beverages at Ralph’s Grocery stores throughout Southern California. Link
- BAZI International has selected TNT Marketing/CROSSMARK to help boost the presence of its BAZI brand in the convenience store channel in the US. Link
IN THE COURTS
- The Federal Trade Commission finalized the Order settling charges that Nestlé made deceptive advertising claims about the health benefits of its children’s drink BOOST Kid Essentials. Link
LAW, POLICY, AND ADVOCACY
- At an event held in Washington D.C., first lady Michelle Obama and Walmart unveiled a comprehensive effort to provide customers with healthier and more affordable food choices.
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- Is Pepsi looking to replace Diet Coke as the fashion industry’s drink of choice? Link
- They better raise their game then, because Karl Lagerfeld is set to design three more bottles For Coca-Cola. Link
- Jones Soda and The Onion launched a co-branded line of limited edition sodas that pairs Jones’ flavors with The Onion’s irreverent headlines. Link
- Lifeway Foods is kicking off its 25th anniversary with a new birthday-cake flavor beverage. Link
- PRE Beverages was on-hand at last week’s 68th Annual Golden Globe Award Show to share samples of their prebiotic beverage.
- Tea maker New Leaf Brands announced that it was converting debt to shares in the company as part of a series of capital raising moves. Link
- Red Bull reported that it sold 4.2 billion cans of its energy drink globally last year. Link
- Lifeway Foods, Inc. announced Lifeway’s Board of Directors approved a new share repurchase program of up to 250,000 shares.
- International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.reconfirmed that it plans to invest over $100 million in Greater Asia over the next three years. Link
- Arca, distributor and seller of beverages under The Coca-Cola Company brand, has signed a binding agreement with Grupo Continental, a Coca-Cola bottling group, to merge the operations of both companies under a single entity. Link
- First Beverage Group announced that it has appointed Joth Ricci to the position of Chief Operating Officer. Link
- Buffalo Rock Co. has named Matthew Dent as President/CEO and Bruce Parsons has been named Executive Vice President.
- The Coca-Cola Company and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) announced a global partnership to expand their collaboration. Link
- According to an interview conducted by smartplanet.com, Coca-Cola aims to have all beverages in PlantBottles by 2020. Link
- A (guess where!) California entrepreneur plans to market line of smartly branded medical-marijuana soft drinks. Link