American Whiskey Brand Developer
Proof Media MixApply for this Job
WANTED: AMERICAN WHISKEY BRAND DEVELOPERS
WELCOME TO THE DYNAMIC WORLD OF AMERICAN WHISKEY
The North American Whiskey category, and in particular its American Whiskey subset, is going through some of the most dynamic periods of growth since the post-prohibition era. Several American Whiskey brands, many driven by industry innovation, have once again become a fundamental part of the nomenclature and cultural conversation within the adult drinks world.
Distilling great whiskey, and building iconic brands, is about people. Deeply personalized relationships and human touch have been instrumental to many iconic whiskey brands’ growth in the category – and the personality, passion, and energy of the people who represent Diageo’s American whiskies are every bit as important as the rye, corn, and barley that go into their world-class distillation and aging.
With this fundamental mindset and its people as its centerpiece, becoming part of the Diageo American Whiskey team, representing the finest in brand leadership and innovation, allows for endless opportunities to grow, innovate, and ideate.
The Diageo North American Whiskey Company is looking for two self-motivated American Whiskey Brand Developers for two current brands: Blade and Bow Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and I.W. Harper Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The two American Whiskey Brand Developers will be based in New York, NY and Atlanta, GA and represent these brands, with others that could be added over time, in strategically defined regions throughout the country.
We are looking for whiskey enthusiasts who have their finger on the pulse of what is happening on the ground in their region, acting as the brand owner for their region. Authenticity in their environment, with excellent relationships with stakeholders, customers, and consumers.
Candidates must possess a passion for building brands, driving performance and excellent execution. They will also demonstrate an ability to bring great drinks, independent lifestyle brands, and smart marketing concepts to life.
They will have an acute ability to identify emerging trends and insights and will be tenacious in translating this knowledge into commercial actions quickly. They will ultimately be the driver of depletion and rate of sale growth, making the plan and delivering the business in their respective region, through consistent engagement in the on-premise Gatekeepers, and Distributor Sales Reps.
The American Whiskey Brand Developer is an evangelist for Diageo’s prioritized American Whiskey brands and is responsible for keeping these brands top of mind with both Distributors AND Trade in priority markets in order to achieve volume and equity ambitions. The role has a heavy commercial focus, where the Brand Developers will track against aggressive KPIs and goals (Depletion, Rate of Sale growth, Brand education) in order to make the plans and deliver the business in their respective regions.
Reporting into the American Whiskey Apprentice Manager, the role will consist of a combination of:
The Brand Developer role will be the brand lead to the in-market sales representatives across their region, holding tension, driving advocacy and sales growth as well as acute focus on the assigned American Whiskey brands. The Brand Developer will ensure selling and activation tools are localized and available, actively partake in sales force “ride-withs”, and drive the execution of activation KPIs and AOP goals. The role will also report, monitor, and escalate sales rep and Field Sales Marketing performance on a regular, calendarized basis.
An additional supporting pillar of the role will involve an ongoing accountability to create, deepen, and amplify important influencer/trade/gatekeeper relationships in the markets that will serve as recruitment advocates while reinforcing Blade and Bow’s and I. W. Harper’s credentials within the North American Whiskey category. Within the role, the Brand Developer will drive top-of-mind awareness with consumers through local media, training of sales reps and gatekeepers, and gatekeeper event execution.
THE THREE PRINCIPALS GUIDING OUR SEARCH
AUTHENTICITY: We need passionate, imaginative and action driven individuals that know how to bring inspiration to life and put their personal stamp on a brand.
COURAGE: We need people who won’t be timid about making the leap from craft to the next big thing. Nor afraid of bringing along everything they’ve learned and putting that know-how to work.
CHARISMA: We need candidates who can be the life and soul of this business. Following the lead of their Manager, we are looking for individuals who can get a crowd going, who can engage and inspire sale reps and trade with passionate brand-oriented story-telling, and are as comfortable with consumers or media as they are in a Distributor meeting, or a staff training.
THE LAST WORD
This is a unique opportunity to help build and develop the foundation for some of American Whiskey’s most promising brands of the future.
If you think you are ready to be that team leader and leave your imprint on the great institution of American Distilling … come join us for this incredible journey.
• Excellent knowledge of the drinks industry and three-tier system. Additional passion for lifestyle brands
• Proven passion to evoke a brand’s qualitative aspects in both formal and informal settings and bring a brand to life
• Experience in understanding the motivations of bar owners, managers, and service staff
• Effective presentation skills
• Proven training ability, persuasive selling skills, and passion for the drinks business with respect to customers and consumers
• Strong network of account relationships in the (geography here) region and experience working with on- and off-premise accounts and distributors in the area
• Effective informal relationships across multiple industries within metro lifestyle sectors
• Some experience in physical work and the basic use of tools, ladders, grips, and audiovisual set up
• Compelling social media use
• Sales experience in the liquor industry
• Category knowledge across North American Whisky
• Strong public speaking; ability to “think on their feet”
• Operates proactively – and where necessary reactively – in order to beat the competition
• The Brand Developer is the face of the brands in the region: in attitude, appearance, and personality.
• Relationship management and influencing skills with external and internal stakeholders
• Ability to develop strong relationships with trade partners
• Must be able to lift equipment and supplies up to 50lbs in weight.
• Manage a regional program budget
• Ability to work cross-functionally
• Lead the (insert region here) American Whiskey Brand Developer program
• Build strong relationships with on-premise/off-premise stakeholders and the extended bartending community
• Conduct comprehensive trainings, tastings & events for internal and external customers and targeted consumers as requested
• Work closely with local Diageo Marketing & Sales teams to identify opportunities, account needs, competitive activity, etc.
• Identify potential and ABC compliant opportunities for the Blade & Bow and I.W. Harper
• Act as the face of Blade & Bow and I.W. Harper in the market
• Understand and follow all legal and compliance requirements of the industry and brand
• Sales Reps, Gatekeeper influencers, and consumers to become advocates for Blade & Bow and I.W. Harper through their interaction with the brand’s activity plans
• Have effective, long-term relationship with key influencers leading them to endorse Blade & Bow and I.W. Harper
• Influencers and consumers are educated on the quality and heritage of Blade & Bow and I.W. Harper
• Effective relationships and collaboration with local commercial and distributor teams
• Strong and compelling reach across Social Media channels
• Professional, college educated preferred
• Is a self-starter and can work independently for extended periods of time
• Relationship building capability/charismatic personality
• Computer skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time; standing, walking, stair climbing, lifting up to 50 lbs. are all required
• Must be flexible and able to adjust to a changing environment, with ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Must be willing to work weekends or extended hours as needed
• Must be 25 years of age or older