Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soda tax considered by the feds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Soda tax considered by the feds

    I think the Democrats would be absolutely stupid to enact this. There are plenty of soda drinkers that could remember this come election time. What's next? A Candy Tax? Whole Milk Tax? Pizza Tax? Anything that Big Brother apparently deems you shouldn't consume.

    From the Wall Street Journal:

    Senate leaders are considering new federal taxes on soda and other sugary drinks to help pay for an overhaul of the nation's health-care system.

    The taxes would pay for only a fraction of the cost to expand health-insurance coverage to all Americans and would face strong opposition from the beverage industry. They also could spark a backlash from consumers who would have to pay several cents more for a soft drink.

    Full story at the link

    Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care - WSJ.com

  • #2
    Originally posted by CaptainCaveUrsine View Post
    I think the Democrats would be absolutely stupid to enact this. There are plenty of soda drinkers that could remember this come election time. What's next? A Candy Tax? Whole Milk Tax? Pizza Tax? Anything that Big Brother apparently deems you shouldn't consume.

    From the Wall Street Journal:

    Senate leaders are considering new federal taxes on soda and other sugary drinks to help pay for an overhaul of the nation's health-care system.

    The taxes would pay for only a fraction of the cost to expand health-insurance coverage to all Americans and would face strong opposition from the beverage industry. They also could spark a backlash from consumers who would have to pay several cents more for a soft drink.

    Full story at the link

    Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care - WSJ.com
    oh, this is just the beginning...

    remember that pledge not to raise taxes on anyone making over $250k? well, it's now down to $235k... and will probably drop further.
    banned

    Comment


    • #3
      Already attempted and failed in New York State.
      Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by drpep View Post
        Already attempted and failed in New York State.
        Same thing for the City of Chicago.
        Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

        Comment


        • #5
          Actually a bit inaccurate, It's only a tax on HFCS beverages. Diet ones are spared.

          A dig at subsidies I think? Although just removing them would be easier, It would probably anger the corn lobby.


          As for 235k instead of 250k..it's potatoes. I mean no one on this site makes near enough to start complaining about that, and historically it's still quite a low rate.

          Comment


          • #6
            Five states, including mine, have soda taxes. However these have pretty much gone down to insignificance because they are set as an flat excise. Here in WV it was 1c/12 oz when invented in 1954 (and a standard bottle was still 5c, meaning it was a whopping 20% tax) and its still 1c (meaning its about a 0.03% tax).

            Without going deep into politics, these types of taxes, combined with hyper-inflation, are all a part of the plan. There are STILL people, however who believe that taxes have been cut, that money has been spent on something called a "stimilus" and/or there are people who do not have "health care".

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by electronicmaji View Post
              Actually a bit inaccurate, It's only a tax on HFCS beverages. Diet ones are spared.

              A dig at subsidies I think? Although just removing them would be easier, It would probably anger the corn lobby.


              As for 235k instead of 250k..it's potatoes. I mean no one on this site makes near enough to start complaining about that, and historically it's still quite a low rate.
              It doesn't matter how much money you make. We can all find a reason to state our feelings about the current tax scheme in the US right now.
              How about Congress stop spending so much money and then we wouldnt have to have such high tax rates.
              This goes for all members of Congress Both Republican and Democrat and the couple of Independents.
              Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by electronicmaji View Post
                Actually a bit inaccurate, It's only a tax on HFCS beverages. Diet ones are spared.
                just another reason to drink Coke Zero.
                banned

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by greg View Post
                  It doesn't matter how much money you make. We can all find a reason to state our feelings about the current tax scheme in the US right now.
                  How about Congress stop spending so much money and then we wouldnt have to have such high tax rates.
                  This goes for all members of Congress Both Republican and Democrat and the couple of Independents.
                  Tax rates in the USA are fine. Having lived internationally, our rates are actually pretty low.

                  Despite this it depends also on the state you live in, and the lower your taxes usually the worse public services are.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How did everyone think Obama was going to pay for universal healthcare without taxing incomes... by taxing products you buy claiming it'll have some specific benefit... its a way around his promise of nobody making under 250K will see their income taxes go up, just every other tax they can come up with... sneaky... sneaky...

                    weren't gas taxes supposed to improve roadways and increase fuel economy?

                    weren't cigarette taxes supposed to pay for healthcare and reduce smoking?

                    To some limited degree those are true, but the vast majority did not do that... they just allowed them to be less efficient in using exsisting money by having more bloated dollars to spend... go government!

                    So now a soda tax, a fast food tax, and any other consumeable product tax they come up with, won't really change our lives for the better... just allow them to be less efficient at spending money they already have... and blame the other party for the problem... that's politics.

                    I'm all for taxes and new programs to try and better our lives, but they need to start eliminating the programs that show they don't work, or aren't giving us a good return on the money... don't just keep throwing more money on a problem, if your solution isn't solving it, re-adjust your approach to the problem, not throw more money at the same failing way.

                    I need a Cherry DrPepper now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DrPepperYummy View Post
                      How did everyone think Obama was going to pay for universal healthcare without taxing incomes... by taxing products you buy claiming it'll have some specific benefit... its a way around his promise of nobody making under 250K will see their income taxes go up, just every other tax they can come up with... sneaky... sneaky...

                      weren't gas taxes supposed to improve roadways and increase fuel economy?

                      weren't cigarette taxes supposed to pay for healthcare and reduce smoking?

                      To some limited degree those are true, but the vast majority did not do that... they just allowed them to be less efficient in using exsisting money by having more bloated dollars to spend... go government!

                      So now a soda tax, a fast food tax, and any other consumeable product tax they come up with, won't really change our lives for the better... just allow them to be less efficient at spending money they already have... and blame the other party for the problem... that's politics.

                      I'm all for taxes and new programs to try and better our lives, but they need to start eliminating the programs that show they don't work, or aren't giving us a good return on the money... don't just keep throwing more money on a problem, if your solution isn't solving it, re-adjust your approach to the problem, not throw more money at the same failing way.

                      I need a Cherry DrPepper now.
                      But none of those taxes have anything to do with Obama?

                      Taxing things that are bad for you is never a bad idea.

                      Now I'd be against taxing soda if it had sugar in it, but since HFCS is killing so many americans (including me) I don't mind it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So-called "sin taxes" are self-defeating. They are simply used as step toward increasing other taxes.

                        Let's take this proposed tax on non-diet soft drinks as an example. If this tax were enacted, then the price of non-diet drinks would go up. People would change their behavior by either buying fewer drinks or by buying untaxed diet drinks. As sales of HFCS/sugar-sweetened drinks drop, the amount of tax money collected will drop as well. Politicians will then declare that the tax needs to be extended to diet soft drinks (those artificial sweetners aren't good for people, are they?). Once diet drinks are taxed, people will buy fewer of them as well. Perhaps they'll just drink mostly water. Again, collected tax money will go down. Politicians will then see a need to increase taxes and fees on drinking water (you know, we do have the drought brought on by global warming and all). Eventually, people are put in a position where they can't avoid the higher taxes, and the government slowly forces them into yielding more of their earned money. Do taxpayers honestly believe that "sin taxes" are going to pay for universal health coverage?

                        On the plus side, if taxes drive soft drink prices up enough, a black market will develop. Folks will start making homemade drinks and selling them. Who knows what sorts of new flavors will be developed....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          soda (like just about everything else in life) is only bad for you if you consume too much of it. personally, i don't like the gov't telling me what i can and cannot do (via taxes)... so long as i'm not hurting anyone else.

                          just say "No" to the nanny state! lol
                          banned

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by electronicmaji View Post
                            Tax rates in the USA are fine. Having lived internationally, our rates are actually pretty low.

                            Despite this it depends also on the state you live in, and the lower your taxes usually the worse public services are.
                            I beg to differ. Why should I turn over 30-40% of my labor to the Federal Government every pay period?
                            The US Consititution allows for the certain protections of the US citiizens which I have no problem pay taxes for, however, I have a huge problem paying for Aquatic centers in NJ, Peanut Museums In Ga, hocky rinks in MN, etc,etc out of Federal Money. If the people of those great states want those things let the private sector pay for it. If the private sector wont pay for it then the need must not be that great.
                            Don't even get me started on the billions upon billions of dollars we pay top foreign countries that have an open disdain for us!

                            Furthermore, Just because "other" countries have higher tax rates and ours a are just a bit lower does not make it right!
                            Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by electronicmaji View Post
                              But none of those taxes have anything to do with Obama?

                              Taxing things that are bad for you is never a bad idea.

                              Now I'd be against taxing soda if it had sugar in it, but since HFCS is killing so many americans (including me) I don't mind it.

                              Who gets to decide what is bad for you? I can drink soda in modweration and keep my weight, BP, insulin levels in check. I can also drink alcohol in moderation and be fine.
                              Last time I checked we had some freedoms left to make our own decisions. Sounds like you have no problem letting someone else live your life for you.
                              HFCS isn't killig Americans, There sedentary lifestyle is killig them.
                              Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X