Spanish Language Business Development Manager
Cicerone Certification ProgramApply for this Job
Spanish Language Business Development Manager
Location: United States or Latin America with US visa. 50%+ travel in North and South America with possible visits to Spain.
Reports to: Cicerone Certification Program Director
Works internally with: Content Director, Exam Director, Business Manager, Marketing Manager
Works externally with: breweries, importers, distributors, and retailers of beer; beer and culinary education organizations; the network of Certified, Advanced, and Master Cicerones
This full-time, salaried position with potential for bonus will promote the Spanish-language version of the Cicerone Certification Program throughout North and South America. Activities will include remote and in-person customer support activities, visits to leading beer business organizations, and marketing activities such as technical or business meetings and trade shows. This position will also work with the Certified Cicerone exam staff to schedule and conduct in-person exams in Latin American markets.
The ideal candidate for this position is a bilingual (Spanish/English) Certified Cicerone®, Advanced Cicerone™, or Master Cicerone® with three to five years of sales/marketing experience and proven success in business development. You will have experience using word-of-mouth techniques including social media, trade shows, and events to build a brand in the target markets. You’ll demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to build sales of training, education, and certification exams. Experience promoting events, hospitality, education, or certification services is strongly desired. Candidates must be comfortable speaking to groups and should be able to cite prior success in training or public speaking. Professional experience in the beer, hospitality, or other beverage alcohol markets is desired. Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred, ideally in a business discipline. A portion of the interview process may be conducted in Spanish.
In coordination with Marketing Manager, plan, execute, and monitor Spanish-language marketing efforts.
- Manage Cicerone presence at conferences, trade shows, and brewers’ meetings in the target region.
- Participate in US conferences, trade shows, and meetings where target contacts may be encountered such as the Craft Brewers Conference.
- Budget, monitor, and control marketing and travel expenses within company guidelines.
- Working with staff in Chicago to plan and coordinate Cicerone training in Latin America.
- Identify key account relationships in the Latin American brewing and retail sectors to ensure stable long-term sales of Cicerone products and services to these groups.
- Develop and manage outreach to key constituencies such as culinary colleges, brewing education programs, and others who train beer servers.
- Participate in planning and execution of Certified Cicerone exams in Latin America, including maintaining an accurate schedule of upcoming exams on cicerone.org, proctoring exams or arranging and supervising another suitable proctor, and coordinating all exam materials.
- Collaborate with Content Director to deploy various beer training and educational events throughout Latin America.
This position will work with and report to individuals based in Chicago, IL, so frequent trips to that location can be expected. Additional travel will be expected to serve customers, deliver presentations, and attend meetings and tradeshows in active markets across Latin America. A portion of the Spanish market is US-based so ability to work in the US is highly desirable.
Essential Skills and Abilities
In order to be effective, the successful candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Fluency in both Spanish and English
- US passport, US work visa, or proven ability to receive necessary visa
- Proficient personal computer skills (either Mac or Windows), including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and a range of Internet sites and applications
- Demonstrated capabilities in public speaking and/or teaching
- Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to work with a variety of professional colleagues in the target countries
- Demonstrated integrity in business relationships and the ability to represent the Cicerone program following the values that have been used to build it
- Understanding of word-of-mouth marketing to drive web-based sales. This should include website management, email marketing, and social media
- High initiative to work independently under minimal supervision; must exercise sound judgment and the ability to see issues in larger organizational context
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit which includes the willingness to work as part of a team in a small company environment, wear multiple hats as required on a day-to-day basis, and be willing to undertake duties unrelated to your job description when needed
- Demonstrated ability to manage and execute multiple projects and priorities, keeping track of long-term priorities despite short-term interruptions and distractions
- Excellent organizational, planning, and execution capabilities: attention to detail is vital!
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work trade shows and events for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
Interested candidates should send resume (in English) with cover letter including salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Spanish Manager” in the subject line. Due to the number of applicants, only qualified candidates for this position will be contacted.
About the Cicerone Certification Program
The Cicerone Certification Program seeks to ensure that beer drinkers receive the highest quality beer at every service occasion. The program offers a series of certification exams and educational programs for beer professionals. We award four levels of certification: Certified Beer Server (CBS); Certified Cicerone®; Advanced Cicerone™; Master Cicerone®.
Our exam and education content spans five specific areas:
For more information, see www.cicerone.org.