Staff Brewer/Cellar Operator
Pelican Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Pelican Brewing Company needs YOU!
The Pelican's production brewery in Tillamook, OR is adding even more staff to its brewery team. As our rapid growth continues we find ourselves in need of another excellent brewer/cellar employee.
Pelican is well established and has won accolades by winning the highly coveted GABF Brewery/Brewpub of the Year (3 times), World Beer Cup Champion Brewery (4 times), and Australia Champion Brewery (2 times). Attention to detail and a spirit of uncompromising excellence is a hallmark of our culture. The Staff Brewer/Cellar Operator will work on the brew deck but also help with Cellar operations so solid experience is needed in both areas. The Pelican Brewery continuously strives for improvement and employs principles of Lean manufacturing. Join our team!
Tillamook and Pacific City are small towns on the North Central part of the Oregon Coast. We are a paradise of outdoor activities. Surfing, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, clamming, crabbing - you name it.
Staff Brewer/Cellar Operator - Our Expectations:
**Everyone needs these to work successfully in a brewery!
- Excellent attendance & timeliness.
- Is reasonable and responsible.
- Shows respect for self & others.
- Clean driving record. Insurable driver
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs. and perform strenuous work all day. Prolonged standing, climbing, bending, and kneeling is often required.
- Mechanical aptitude. Respect of top quality equipment & tools.
- Familiarity with material handling equipment (pallet jack, forklift, hand truck).
- Understanding of what “Clean” means. No exceptions.
- Can perform tasks with little or no supervision.
- Can think and make sound and reasonable decisions. Critical thinker and a problem solver
- Willingness to accomplish “What Is Required” on any given day.
- Mental flexibility.
- Willingness to take direction.
Brewing Specific Skills:
**It would be great if you have these skills, and understand that we’ll re-train you anyway.
- Open Mind.
- Love of tracking and paperwork.
- Love of cleaning & sanitation !
- Fermentation Management and daily tracking
- Knowledge of brewhouse operations
- Keg washing
- Yeast management
- Keg racking
- Filter setup, operation, cleaning
- Fining practices
- Fermentor, bright-beer tank and serving tank cleaning/sanitation
- Materials handling (empty cases, cleaned kegs, empty bottles, palletized beer, bagged malt, etc.)
- Raw materials analysis
- Minor laboratory and QA/QC skills
- Experience with cleaning chemicals & MSDS sheets
- Understanding of material utilization.
- Love of the art & science of Brewing.
- Knowledge of sensory analysis
- Bottling line setup, operation, cleaning
Other Niceties & Intangible Skills:
- Shows good attitude and wants to work
- Can follow directions well/takes notes if necessary.
- Can keep an eye out for potential problems or maintenance issues and brings them to the attention of management and maintenance
- Willingness to learn & learns quickly
- Willingly accepts non-standard assignments
- Can represent the company well when in public and at events
- Listens to and observes supervisors without being distracted from task at hand
- Asks pertinent questions
- Learns from mistakes
- Shows improving skills by regularly accomplishing more complex tasks and increasing speed and efficiency
- Able to multi-task
- Shows "sense of urgency" – hustles
- Ability to share knowledge and mentor other brewery staff
Pelican Brewing Company is an established brewery and a hallmark of the Pacific Northwest brewing community. We also have world-class brewpubs (that actually brew) and hospitality on the beautiful Oregon Coast. If you like adventure & the great outdoors this is a great place to be.
Full time, year round, hourly position. Medical, dental & vision benefits, vacation pay, discount card.Background Check and Drug testing (pre-employment and random testing) are required.