Wachusett Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Wachusett Brewing Company is looking for a seasoned brewer with hands-on operational experience, ready to lead all aspects of a commercial brewery– from development of a functioning brewery to recipe creation & execution of some ridiculously good beers.
The Head Brewer is responsible for ALL aspects of the brewery operations from recipe formulation and optimization on pilot brewery, to brewing, filtering, cleaning and lab work.
- Involved throughout the entire brewing process from grinding to filling the fermenters
- Management of the Brewhouse staff
- Tracking and recording key measurements during the process
- Yeast management (harvesting, pitching and counts/viabilities)
- Raw ingredient handling, all aspects of a brew day, transferring wort, yeast handling, packaging, monitoring fermentations, etc.
- Operate brewhouse with maximum attention to detail and accuracy
- CIP and Sanitization on all vessels (fermenters, heat exchanger, mash tun, kettle and bright beer tanks)
- Troubleshooting, technical maintenance and adherence to SOP’s
- Order supplies
- Organize production logs
- Work and communicate well across all levels of a brewery operation (management, packaging, customers, suppliers, etc)
- Oversee the QA/QC program
- Gather data relative to beer quality and clarification process
- Learning and executing the processes involved in cellaring activities – clarification (including DE filtration), carbonation, dry-hopping, transfers, etc.
- Cellar and fermentation tank and related equipment sanitizing
- Production activities will also include responsibility of opening and closing facility
- Comply with all safe chemical handling procedures including personal protection equipment such as gloves and googles
- General facility cleaning and organization
- Follow proper safety procedures and QC guidelines
- Follow proper cleaning procedures for filter, brite tanks and fermenters
- Practice proper yeast management
- Keep the brewhouse clean and organized
- Must be able to bend, squat, crawl, kneel, push, pull and walk on uneven surfaces on an occasional basis
- Must be able to climb stairs both inside and outside, frequently lift 60 lbs occasionally up to 150 lbs.
- Ability to work in a brewery environment which may be loud, slick, humid, hot and cold
Education, Experience and Skills
- Prior experience on at least a 15 BB system in a full production brewery
- Prior management experience a plus
- Experience creating and brewing multiple styles of beer
- Prior knowledge of barrel-aging, sours, yeast strains, hop varieties, grain varieties, grain roasts, etc.
- Ability communicate effectively
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing work environment
- Writing and math skills are necessary to accurately complete a dilution calculation, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate beer volumes/losses and alcohol content
- Strong work ethic and self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team collaboration
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation package based on experience including healthcare, company retirement contribution, opportunities for advancement and of course a generous beer benefit so that you can enjoy the luxuries of your hard work. For the right candidate, relocation costs may be considered.