Specialty Product & Quality Development Cidermaker
2 Towns CiderhouseApply for this Job
2 Towns Ciderhouse Vision
We aspire to create craft cider that is accessible to the people, utilizing the most advanced cider making standards and quality Northwest ingredients without being afraid to do things a little differently. Much like our product 2 Towns as a company is fun, unique, and filled with energy. Our crew makes what we do possible, and we are committed to fostering an environment of fairness, empowerment, and security.
The Specialty Product and Quality Development Cidermaker is responsible for developing and bringing all small-batch and specialty products through trial phase and into market on time and with utmost attention to quality. This includes managing the barrel-aging program, tracking and entering batch and tax relevant data into ERP software (Orchestrated Beer), and helping to coordinate harvest/crush. The Specialty Product and Quality Development Cidermaker will also be responsible for research and development towards quality improvement of all flagship products. Additionally, this position will be in charge of keeping the Eastgate/Taproom cellar and warehouse clean and organized for public display. Lastly, this individual may represent 2 Towns at public, private, and industry events. Although s/he will work directly with and report to the Head Cidermaker to accomplish these tasks, the role will be largely independent.
These tasks involve lifting, moving, pulling, pushing and taping 35lb+ cases of bottles and cans, moving 150lb kegs onto and off of pallets, driving a forklift, climbing ladders, working with chemicals, and working in a team environment. The Specialty Product and Quality Development Cidermaker is expected to have a positive attitude, model exemplary work to other production crew members, and develop an intimate and in-depth knowledge of all aspects of 2 Towns production, practices, and values. This individual should expect a fast-paced environment and 30-50 hours per week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
General Purpose: The Specialty Product and Quality Development Cidermaker manages all aspects of production, packaging and raw material sourcing at the Eastgate taproom facility and conducts all R&D trials. Operations range anywhere from producing cider and cleaning equipment, to conducting R&D, to preparing finished product for sales and distribution.
- Bring new and existing specialty products to market on time at an award-winning and exceptional level of quality.
- Manage the barrel-aging program.
- Manage production records in Orchestrated Beer (“O-Beer”) software.
- Conduct chemical and nutrient inventory.
- Conduct parts inventory for tanks, equipment, etc.
- Compile weekly production reports for the Head Cidermaker.
- Follow proper standard operation procedures (SOPs) and remain competent in all areas of production.
- Develop new specialty, seasonal, and limited release ciders for market.
- Create trial batches for management review.
- Develop new strategies to continue to improve product quality.
- Develop an intimate knowledge of 2 Towns production practices, principles, and values.
- Troubleshoot new equipment and write SOPs.
- Maintain a positive attitude and help foster a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrate exceptional attention to detail.
- Build shipments on occasion.
- Operate a forklift in a busy environment.
- Stack dry goods and finished inventory with forklift on occasion.
- Load/unload delivery trucks when needed.
- Keep the cellar clean and organized for public display.
- Ensure clean and organized personal and shared workspaces.
- Clean kegs and hoses.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings.
- Adhere to 2 Towns safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Observe and follow all policies described in the Employee Handbook.
- Help staff the annual Harvest Party.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to function in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Personable attitude towards other employees and the public
- Forklift proficiency and certifications
- Independent, self-directed
- Interested in and excited about craft cider
- Looking for a long term job opportunity
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Motivation to make a difference in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to retain confidential company knowledge.
- Ability to work with honesty and integrity.
- Friendly professional attitude and social skills.
- Strong team player qualities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Flexible in both schedule and duties.
- Passionate about craft beverage industry (Cider, Beer, Wine, Mead).
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends on occasion
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Proven experience in creating and managing fermented beverages from raw material through packaging.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- 21 years or older.
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years experience in the wine, beer, or cider industry and
- Minimum of three years alcohol production experience in a decision making and/or management role (Cellar Manager, Brewer, Assistant Winemaker, Barrel Manager, etc).
- Valid Oregon Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
- Able to drive for long periods of time.
- Able to lift and move 50 lbs or more on a regular basis, and be able to lift 150 lbs. occasionally; able to laterally move heavier amounts using a forklift.
- Able to kneel and stoop occasionally.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; walk; use hands to move cases; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and visually count. The employee is required to stand most of the day.
The employee must frequently lift 150lbs pounds or more, and be able to move it laterally or vertically with aid of assistive devices such as a forklift, pallet jacket, or hand truck.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud most of the time.
Compensation and Benefits
2 Towns Ciderhouse offers a starting wage dependent on previous relevant experience. Benefits for full-time employees include health and dental insurance, quarterly merchandise and cider allotments, 401k & profit sharing, as well as bonus opportunities.
Please submit the following information to email@example.com by midnight on Sunday November 5th, 2017:
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter that describes your previous alcohol production experience
Resumes submitted without cover letters will not be considered. Please, no phone calls about this position.
2 Towns Ciderhouse is an equal opportunity employer.