Hopworks Urban BreweryApply for this Job
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Job Title: Controller
FLSA Status: Full Time - Salary
Reports to: CEO and CFO
We believe world-class beer and food can be made in beautiful spaces with sustainable business practices that protect our environment and improve our community.
Under the direction of the CEO and CFO, the Controller will oversee the Company’s finances and be responsible for the overall operational efficiency of the Company. The controller position is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of accounting records, and proper management of controls and budgets designed to drive towards profitability.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities
- Create and manage the strategic plan with the CEO and CFO by defining, completing and summarizing the components associated with the strategic plan on an on-going basis to ensure projects are within the plan guidelines and adjust accordingly.
- Manage activities and resource requirements to ensure inter-departmental alignment with the strategic plan.
- Create, manage and help drive the financial, social and environmental plan to ensure success and alignment with B Corp standards.
- Assist with the production and submission of the annual Sustainability Report.
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Issue timely and complete monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements according to GAAP, budget to actual analysis and cash flow statements.
- Manage the production of the annual budget to ensure a positive triple-bottom line (financial, environmental and social) is attained. Overall responsibility for the Company’s finances through planning, budgeting, and benchmarking to achieve the Company’s short and long-term goals. Provide financial analysis as needed for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Provide lease agreement management.
- Deliver cashflow forecasting information.
- Generate Ad-Hoc reporting for Leadership team.
- Contribute to the monitoring of ERP systems- Ekos, ChefTec, Micros
- Provide timely financial analytics and project prioritization based on company goals.
- Assist in project management with scope, resources, and process to ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget and in line with B Corp standards.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local tax reporting and filing laws.
- Maintain healthy relationships with legal, financial, and banking partners.
- Assist with contract review and negotiations.
- Effectively lead the finance, admin, and human resources management team.
- Lead and assist the HR department by developing, supporting and communicating company and employee initiatives.
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team.
- Maintain in-depth relations with all members of the management team.
- Provide CEO, CFO and other Directors with project status updates and recommend corrective actions to ensure commitments are met.
- Create and manage internal dashboards that reflect financial, environmental, and social benchmarks that align with B Corp standards to track the progress of each department while assisting the CEO in holding managers accountable to the dashboard performance.
- Act as a liaison between Brewery and Pubs.
- Support the Company’s mission, vision and values.
- Ensure company culture is positive through monitoring, addressing and improving communication and programs that support the employees.
- Ensure the HUB culture is maintained by demonstrating team player qualities with all HUB team members,
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial mindset when performing operational responsibilities.
The position will directly supervise Administrative staff, including finance and HR.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree minimum requirement; advanced training a definite advantage.
- 5-8 years’ minimum experience in Accounting or Finance
- Prior experience effectively supporting the infrastructure of rapidly growing businesses.
- Experience in Human Resources and Operations.
- Strong focus on the customer experience, both internal and external.
- The ability to balance the well-being of the team members along with the health of the company.
- Ability to communicate effectively and influence at all levels of a growing organization.
- Proven leadership experience.
Highly Desired Skills
- Prefer MBA, CPA or other advanced accounting or finance degree.
- Preferred work experience with full service restaurant and wholesale brewing operations.
- Experience and a passion to align with the B Corp philosophy to meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability.
- Experience in growing a company profitably.
- This position is largely office based, with a majority of time spent at a desk.
- Occasionally lift/carry 30 – 40 lbs.
- Regularly walk, climb, kneel and crouch.