Head Brewer - Palmetto Brewing Company Charleston
Palmetto Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Palmetto Brewing founded in 1993 remains independently and family owned as part of Catawba Brewing Company with locations in Morganton NC, Charlotte NC and Asheville NC in addition to the Charleston SC location. Through all locations we are targeting 50,000 BBL’s in 2018. We are in need of a head brewer that can continue our history of fine beers. With mild temperatures, a coastal vibe and cultural diversity Charleston is in ideal place to call home. This position will be administrative as well as hands on. Leadership on the brewery floor will be imperative to success. We offer a competitive salary, PTO as well as a medical plan.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES RELATED TO PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT:*
• Leads all day-to-day activities necessary to produce high quality, consistent beer.
• Manage all brewery operations of our 3 vessel 25 BBL brew system crafting 20,000 BBLS per year draft only.
• Lead, manage, and schedule the brewers, cellerman, and racking personnel.
• Promotes an atmosphere of cooperation and teamwork within the department and the company.
• Conducts annual performance reviews with all direct reports.*
• Effectively represent Beer Production in weekly cross department meetings regarding Quality and Production.
• Advocates a continuous improvement culture throughout his/her team.
• Assists in development and updating of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as necessary.
• Holds self and brewers accountable for adhering to SOPs and maintaining a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment.
• Conducts critical assessment of beers through active participation in raw material and beer sensory panels.
• Facilitates future growth of the brewery through continuous optimization of current processes.
• Assists in implementation of new equipment and processes.*
• Works with senior management on new product development initiatives.*
• Maintain brewing, cellaring, filtration, packaging and other related documentation in an organized and complete manner.
• Provide hands on relief of all positions as necessary.
• Provide leadership in decision making situations as needed.
• Maintain healthy communication with other departments (Sales, Distribution, QC, Tasting Room, and Packaging).
• Responsible for inventory control.
• Oversee and improve production efficiency.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES RELATED TO HEAD BREWER:
• 5+ years of leadership brewing experience including brewery/breweries running multiple brews per day on multiple shifts. A history of progressive advancement in leadership or management positions. College degree and certification from an accredited brewing program or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong mechanical and problem-solving aptitude
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Training, guiding and growing your team of brewers
• An eye for the big picture and how the details support it
• The ability to work unsupervised and manage your own time and the time of others effectively.
• Focus on quality and consistency of finished product
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
• Technical and practical knowledge of all aspects of brewery operations, including but not limited to:
• business acumen for strategic forecasting, scheduling, budgeting and efficiency metrics
• inventory and supply chain management, including materials ordering and logistics
• yeast management, fermentation theory/practice
• Lab procedures such as: cell counting/viability testing, D.O., CO2 and packaged air testing, gram staining and microbiological analysis
• equipment, cellaring, cleaning and maintenance best practices, SOP development and enforcement
• working knowledge of safety and legal compliance requirements and enforcement
• vetting, hiring, training and management of a complete brewhouse staff
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Charleston Head Brewer" in subject line.