Director of Sales (sales of craft malt to craft brewers and craft distillers)
Riverbend Malt HouseApply for this Job
Position Title: Director of Sales, Riverbend Malt House Inc. (posted December, 2017)
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Reports to: CEO
Company Summary: Riverbend Malt House was founded in 2010 with the goal of producing high quality, locally sourced, artisanal malt for use by the craft brewing and craft distilling industries. Riverbend is experiencing rapid growth and in late 2017 relocated to a new facility with significantly expanded production capacity. www.riverbendmalt.com
Position Summary: The Director of Sales ensures that Riverbend Malt House consistently meets or exceeds sales goals while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. The Director of Sales is also a key member of the management team.
- Meet or exceed annual sales bookings and revenue goals.
- Provide CEO with accurate monthly, quarterly and annual sales forecasts.
- Develop written annual sales plans defining how sales targets will be achieved for customer, product and market segments.
- Develop Major Account plans, identifying strategies for meeting sales objectives. Position Riverbend favorably within major accounts, resulting in high customer satisfaction results and ensuring future business.
- Competently represent Riverbend at industry tradeshows and events.
- As a member of the management team, help define corporate strategy and develop opportunities / resolve issues.
- Travel. Although many of Riverbend’s customers are local, this position may entail up to 50% travel.
KPIs / Performance Metrics:
- Bookings and Revenues vs target on an aggregate basis and within Major Accounts.
- Customer Satisfaction. Help develop and track an effective metric(s) for assessing customer satisfaction.
- New customer acquisition.
- Customer retention.
- New product sales. Sales of new products as they become available.
- In-depth knowledge of malting and craft brewing processes. Knowledge of craft distilling a plus.
- Understanding of professional sales, including concepts such as sales cycles, pipelines, negotiation strategy, influencing tactics, etc. Ability to comfortably and successfully sell on quality, innovation, brand and customer service vs. price.
- Major Account planning. Ability to develop and implement account specific strategies designed to achieve target sales and penetration goals.
- Strong presentation skills; comfortable speaking in 1:1 and 1:many situations with brewmasters, brewery/distillery owners and members of the press.
- People management skills. While initially an individual contributor role, it is anticipated that as the company grows the Director of Sales position will evolve into one involving the management of people.
- Ability to influence across organizational lines. Able to work cooperatively with Operations regarding scheduling, R&D regarding new product development and Marketing in the area of demand creation, brand and product positioning.
- Able to discern when incremental company resources and assistance are/are not needed; ability to frame resource requests succinctly, specifically and with benefit to company clearly defined.
- Flexible Team Member. Balances team and individual responsibilities; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; puts success of team above own interests.
- Strong Communicator. Listens well, builds commitment and overcomes resistance; speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; responds promptly to customer needs.
- Serves as the “Voice of the Customer” and “Voice of the Market.” Provides feedback about customer service, new product ideas and competitive intelligence.
- Values the interests of all Riverbend stakeholders including employees, local farmers and the community.
Qualifications and Experience:
Education: Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university. STEM major preferred.
- 5+ years of successful sales experience with a consistent record of meeting/exceeding sales goals.
- Preference for candidates who have had experience:
- Working as a professional beer brewer.
- Working with malt, especially as a maltster.
- Working in a small, rapidly growing environment.
- Managing people.
- Coursework with Miller-Heiman, Rackham or other strategic selling methodology a plus.
- Cicerone certification(s) a plus.
- Must have driver’s license.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. A significant portion of the annual compensation will be in the form of commissions linked to sales goals. Riverbend also offers a benefits package that includes healthcare and paid vacation.