Regional Sales Manager
The Modern Pod CompanyApply for this Job
Job Description: Regional Sales Manager
The Modern Pod Company is a fast growing, innovative, plant-based new entrant into the better-for-you brand industry. We’re headquartered in Providence RI, the littlest state with the biggest attitude. We launched our flagship new brand – the delicious Hummus Pod snacketizers - in close to 2,000 natural, conventional, and club stores nationwide in 2017… and we’re just warming up. We are expanding our team and seek a dynamic, strategic, and daring Sales Manager to help drive our next leap forward.
We project ongoing growth and velocity in both natural & conventional channels, and enter the market in the frozen category, with distinct competitive advantages. The Regional Sales Manager (RSM, location TBD) will be a seasoned, creative, hands-on pro determined to shape, win, grow, and steer healthy sales and merchandising programs for us across channels and regions. Responsibilities include both managing all sales activities for current customers, distributors and brokers in targeted regions, and also selectively securing new accounts to maximize market penetration for our plant-based goodness product lines. The RSM will proactively and steadily drive sales, addressing day-to-day operating issues as well as informing longer-term strategy. S/he will sell directly to key accounts, and also manage and motivate our independent broker salesforce and network of distributors. We expect the RSM to drive regional account planning and forecasting, new product launch plans, marketing & trade programs, in-store execution, and smart growth.
1. Proactively identify, execute, maximize sales & distribution opportunities across Natural & Grocery channels, in close collaboration with our broker and distributor networks. Guide/grow current accounts and strategically win/grow fertile new accounts.
2. Accurately develop bottom-up quarterly and annual sales forecasts and trade promotion calendars for your market areas and customers.
3. Set strategic direction, performance expectations for appointed brokers and distributors to achieve quality distribution in targeted accounts, including ensuring timely execution on new item introductions, schematic implementation, and promotional programming. Assist in launching, training, managing, and auditing of existing and new brokerage, distributor, and 3rd party demo teams to deliver on sell-in and sell-through initiatives. Manage these partnerships.
4. Accurately and regularly assess account performance, through timely and accurate sales analyses, to provide insights, optimize sell-through, and inform future sales strategy. Request & analyze distribution reports to determine patterns, market coverage, & opportunities for future growth, with a relentless focus on achieving healthy and improving velocity.
5. Conduct store audits (with broker management and/or field sales reps where possible) to optimize merchandising and promotional programming.
6. Execute and evaluate in-store & market sampling program for targeted retailers within assigned market area.
7. Identify and attend trade shows and demos to champion the brand and cultivate new opportunities.
8. Manage strong relationships with key account buyers and supporting teams in the region.
9. Creatively problem-solve, in close collaboration with The ModPod internal team, and provide critical sales intelligence, to help us achieve our collective goals.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Marketing or related field
- 5+ years progressive, successful grocery/key account headquarters customer-facing sales experience and minimum of 3 years managing brokers. CPG experience with a key account history, particularly in pioneering brand introductions and early stage brand development.
- Sales leadership experience in the natural & grocery channels (Whole Foods, Sprouts, NCG, Safeway/Albertsons, Publix, Harris Teeter, HEB, Kroger, etc.) with mission-based selling background in frozen space preferred. Established relationships and demonstrated success working with leading brokers and distributors (UNFI, KeHE, etc), servicing these channels.
- Ideally, experience in both large and small companies, with both existing and new brands: big business vision and scrappier, new business drive and creativity. National/multi-regional experience in natural food channels (with personal passion for natural/better-for-you business) is preferred.
- Fluency in trade marketing, category management, sales planning and/or brand marketing roles.
- Strong planning & organizational skills along with excellent interpersonal, written/oral communication skills, including full competence with Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word). Proficient in Data Tools (SPINS, Nielsen, Retailer Portal), Excel & Trade Analytics (selling price, margins, etc).
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively. A roll-up the sleeves, entrepreneurial, can-do attitude.
- Highly adaptable & resourceful. Pioneering spirit. Passion for an active health & wellness lifestyle. Sense of humor is essential.
- Flexibility to travel as required (possibly 50% of time)
Please email persuasive cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, subject line: RSM