Nantahala Brewing CoApply for this Job
Nantahala Brewing Company is now hiring a Head Brewer to assist in managing our brewing operations at our production brewery and barrel-aging facility in Bryson City, NC.
Nantahala Brewing was founded in 2009 in the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We are an independent, family owned and operated craft brewery in one of the last wilderness areas on the east coast. With four true seasons, America’s most visited national park, almost every outdoor activity you can imagine (hiking, mountain biking, fly fishing, whitewater, camping, boating, skiing and more) just beyond our front door, Bryson City is an ideal place to call home.
Over the last eight years, our facility has grown from a small non-distributing, retail focused facility to encompass a five acre campus which includes our production brewery, taproom and music venue, brewpub, barrel-aging facility and warehousing. We currently distribute in North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia where our market share continues to see double digit growth. We are focusing on growing both our production, distribution and retail operations both in Bryson City and beyond.
This position will be both hands on and administrative. Leadership on the brewery floor will be important to achieving success. We offer a competitive salary, PTO as well as 401K program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES RELATED TO PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT:
- Leads all day-to-day activities necessary to produce high quality, consistent beer.
- Manage all brewery operations of our 3 vessel 20 BBL brew system.
- Work with our production manager to lead, manage, and schedule the brewers and other production staff.
- Promotes an atmosphere of cooperation and teamwork within the brewery.
- Effectively represent Beer Production in weekly cross department meetings regarding Quality and Production.
- Advocates a continuous improvement culture throughout his/her team.
- Assists in development and updating of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as necessary.
- Holds self and brewers accountable for adhering to SOPs and maintaining a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment.
- Conducts critical assessment of beers through active participation in raw material and beer sensory panels.
- Facilitates future growth of the brewery through continuous optimization of current processes.
- Assists in implementation of new equipment and processes.
- Works with our management team on new product development initiatives.
- Maintain brewing, cellaring, filtration, packaging and other related documentation in an organized and complete manner.
- Provide hands on relief of all positions as necessary.
- Provide leadership in decision making situations as needed.
- Maintain healthy communication with other departments (Sales, Distribution, QC, Tasting Room, and Packaging).
- Responsible for inventory control.
- Oversee and improve production efficiency.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES RELATED TO HEAD BREWER:
- 5+ years of leadership brewing experience including brewery/breweries running multiple brews per day on multiple shifts. A history of progressive advancement in leadership or management positions. College degree and certification from an accredited brewing program or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong mechanical and problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Training, guiding and growing your team of brewers
- An eye for the big picture and how the details support it
- The ability to work unsupervised and manage your own time and the time of others effectively.
- Focus on quality and consistency of finished product
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED: Technical and practical knowledge of all aspects of brewery operations, including but not limited to:
- business acumen for strategic forecasting, scheduling, budgeting and efficiency metrics
- inventory and supply chain management, including materials ordering and logistics
- yeast management, fermentation theory/practice
- Lab procedures such as: cell counting/viability testing, D.O., CO2 and packaged air testing, gram staining and microbiological analysis
- equipment, cellaring, cleaning and maintenance best practices, SOP development and enforcement
- working knowledge of safety and legal compliance requirements and enforcement
- vetting, hiring, training and management of a complete brewhouse staff