Head Brewer, Educator and Leader
River Saint JoeApply for this Job
Who We Are
River Saint Joe is a funded start-up farmstead brewery and agritourism destination located a stone’s throw from the St. Joseph River on a beautiful organic hopyard and farm in Buchanan, Michigan. We’re in search of a talented individual to serve as brewmaster and educator and make a reality our vision of brewing delicious organic, plant-to-pint beer that embraces and showcases the land and the place. A deep commitment to sustainability; a passion for gathering together as a community around food and drink; and a curious, collaborative, and committed mindset; these are some of the characteristics that will make this an ideal job for the right person.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the immediate planning and design of an organic brewery and brewpub and selecting of brewing equipment.
- Develop traditional and creative recipes that align with River Saint Joe’s organic and sustainable vision and demands of customers.
- Use conventional and unconventional organic ingredients grown locally, on the farm, or foraged.
- Adapt recipes to account for crop availability and those in abundance.
- Establish a barrel-aging program that incorporates secondary fermentation (e.g. with brett or fruit from the farm).
- Implement a yeast management program.
- Collaborate with other breweries, producers, and educators to advance shared knowledge around organic brewing, farming, and sustainability.
- Educate customers and community members on all aspects of the business, including brewing, organics, and sustainability.
- Develop and follow standard operating procedures for brewing processes and cellar that are compliant with organic requirements.
- Lead River Saint Joe’s organic brewing process and staff in a safe and efficient manner with help from the assistant brewmaster, who you will assist in hiring.
- Ensure the highest level of beer quality, production efficiency, and product innovation.
- Contribute to product sales, marketing, and other business roles.
- Lead continuous process improvement efforts.
- Procure, receive, process, and monitor raw materials, including water, to keep production running smoothly and in line with organic and sustainable requirements.
- Maintain inventory and ensure supply of all brewhouse materials and equipment.
- Work with lab technicians to ensure River Saint Joe’s product meets standards of the highest quality.
- Think creatively about resources usage and minimization, including by-product recycling and reuse.
- Maintain Clean-In-Place (CIP) sanitation in all areas of the brew house.
- Management responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; ensuring adherence to safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Create and uphold brewing culture around River Saint Joe’s organic, transparent, and sustainable mission.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Dedication to organic, transparent, and sustainable brewing and production.
- Willingness to work with organic ingredients and ability to work flexibly with the ingredients the farm can produce.
- High school diploma or equivalent, with a certificate or other advanced education in the brewing process. A four-year degree, or equivalent, in Fermentation Sciences is preferred.
- Five or more years brewing experience.
- Deep understanding of all aspects of beer production.
- Proven ability to be a highly energetic leader.
- Strong negotiation and written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of historical beer styles, their flavor profiles, and a proven ability to create them.
- Recipe design experience, including fresh hops, wild yeast, other fermentation agents, and varying ingredients.
- Understanding of hop and barley selection, the growing and malting process, and hop farm operations is strongly desired.
- A demonstrated ability to work with automated processes interface, process control instrumentation, as well as manual brewery operations, is required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
Salary and Benefits:
- Equity ownership incentives.
- Competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience.
- Medical and other benefits.
- Involvement in building the brewery and business from the ground up.
- Opportunity for personal and professional growth beyond beer making.
- Organic beer made with hops and barley grown on a picturesque farm outside your brewhouse--what could be better?!
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by February 15, 2018. River Saint Joe will evaluate applications on a rolling basis.