Brewer - Terrapin Beer Company
Terrapin Beer CompanyApply for Job
Job Summary: The position of Brewer is a regular full-time, hourly position that represents a multi-skilled brewing position responsible for assisting in the production of craft beer. The qualified employee must possess a minimum of the following listed skills, knowledge and experience. The functions of a Brewer will be performed under little or no supervision in a timely manner and with acceptable quality. The incumbent will report directly to the Head Brewer.
To learn more about careers at Terrapin Beer Company, please click here:
Essential Job Functions:
- A demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in a cross-functional, cross-departmental TEAM environment. Communicates all pertinent batch related information at shift changeover.
- Ability to accurately follow SOP’s and understanding of specific beer process terminologies.
- Understanding of Brewing, Cellaring, and Filtration processes along with an understanding of CIP, sanitation and sterilization techniques.
- Produces quality wort according to SOP’s including, but not limited to, target gravity, IBU, color and volume.
- Perform daily job duties including, but not limited to: CIP, malt milling, operating brew house, wort transfers, yeast pitching, fermentation monitoring, filtration, general cleaning, beer tasting.
- Operate both manual and computer automated equipment while maintaining quality standards. Operate forklifts and other operating equipment as trained and directed.
- Monitoring of individual batches and fermentation of individual tanks of beer, records batch performance and raw material quality & performance.
- Comfortable working with chemicals of varying composition and maintaining adherence to safety standards at all times during routine cleaning of brewing equipment.
- Must be able to work hands on at assisting and or leading each unit of operation as necessary.
- Follows environmental and safety regulations and acts in compliance with US laws and accepted business ethics.
- Must be able and willing to work a variable shift schedule that is dependent upon the operational needs of the brewery which may require 12 hour days, weekends, and holidays.
- Follow all company policies & procedures, reflect organizational core values and strive to maintain a clean and safe working environment at all times. Practice safe work methods and comply with wearing and using the proper PPE 100% of the time on the floor.
- Ability to frequently reach, twist, stoop, crouch, stand and walk for 8-10 hour shifts. Must be able to lift up to 75lbs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
4 year degree in Chemistry, Microbiology, Fermentation Science, Biology or similar science-based degree program. (Or) graduation from an accredited School of Brewing and completion of a high school diploma. Similar job or work history with minimum 1-2 years’ experience. The candidate should possess a strong understanding of all areas of brewing science and of general production metrics of success.
Must be self-motivated, have excellent written skills, verbal communication and be a minimum of 21 years of age. Candidate must be able to work under stressful situations unique to the manufacturing/production environment of a fast-paced brewery.
Candidates must be proficient in MS Office software including Excel and Word.
Preferred Qualifications: Previous experience as either an Assistant Brewer or as a Brewer in a similar sized or larger brewery with 3-5 years’ experience.
Terrapin Beer Company, LLC is a beer brewery located in Athens, Georgia dedicated to creating unique experiences through the passionate brewing of the finest-quality craft beers. Employee benefits include health, dental & vision insurance, profit-sharing, 401K and a rewarding environment based upon our culture, values and mission.
Terrapin Beer Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination against any employee or applicant seeking employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, public assistance status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.