Assistant Packaging Manager
Wormtown BreweryApply for this Job
Assistant Packaging Manager- Worcester, MA
Wormtown Brewery is a regional brewery located in Worcester, MA. Wormtown Brewery opened up in the Spring of 2010 in a small 1000 barrel facility producing draft only beer. After winning awards at the GABF, World Beer Cup, GIBF, DIBC, USBTC, and becoming the 2014 US Open Grand National Champion a new facility opened in January of 2015. The new facility has a current capacity of 42,000 bbls that is expandable to 75,000 bbls. The addition of a new rotary canning line with electronically controlled valves in 2018 adds a new dimension to the rapidly expanding brewery.
About the Position
The Assistant Packaging Manager will report directly to the Packaging Manager and will be the primary leader on the Packaging Hall floor while maintaining the harmony of the Packaging Team. The candidate is responsible for the equipment and the staff operating bottling (GAI), canning (Cask and CFT) and keg plant (Comac) lines. The Assistant will oversee timely completion of packaging runs over multiple shifts while focusing on safety, quality and efficiency. The motivated candidate will demonstrate leadership, communicate effectively, lead by example, be organized, practice sanitary packaging procedures, carry out preventative maintenance, follow quality control protocols, have strong mechanical aptitude and be an exceptional problem solver.
The Ideal Leader
The ideal leader will have relevant brewery experience and a passion for the brewing industry. He or she will have a familiarity with packaging operations, along with the brewing process, cellaring operations, CIP operations and related activities. The ideal candidate will have a passion for solving problems and maintaining a cohesive team. This person will be available to assist with anything needed for Packaging Operations.
Your Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Materials handling and management — forklift operations, warehouse operations, unloading/loading trucks, etc.
- Assist in cellaring operations — CO2/DO reading and recordings as directed
- Assist in packaging operations — manage operations of packaging department equipment, including kegging equipment, labeling equipment, bottling equipment, canning equipment and all associated machinery/supplies.
- Assist in managing inventory control of kegs, bottles, cases, cans and associated materials/supplies.
- Participate in brewery recycling and disposal procedures.
- CIP of equipment/preparation and operations for all packaging startup and shutdown, as needed.
- Assist in on-site QA/QC standards
- Corrective, preventative, and predictive maintenance and repair of packaging line equipment to ensure they are operating correctly, efficiently, and safely.
- Ensure that the packaging line facilities and equipment are operable, clean, and safe, following all SOPs and safety protocols.
- Work with brew, cellar and warehouse/logistics and packaging managers to ensure the right products are being packaged and in a timely manner for delivery to our distributor partners.
- Assist Warehouse Manager with inventory of clean/dirty kegs, cardboard goods, glass bottles and labels.
- Contribute to the quality assurance processes, continuing to improve and evolve the department to gain efficiencies in the packaging department.
- Bottle, keg, and can on a daily basis while monitoring established quality standards.
- Assist with schedule, equipment, and packaging crew when Packaging Manager is absent or unavailable.
- Accurately record Packaging data, including damaged goods and ullage
- Proficient understanding of all packaging equipment and machinery in order to troubleshoot issues
- Assist with inventory of packaging materials
- Supervise and delegate the work of the packaging crew. Provide feedback to Packaging Manager
- Work with Packaging Manager and Lab Staff to update quality measures on all packages
- Actively support Wormtown and team goals, objectives and culture.
- Work safely in hot and cold temperatures, with high pressure steam and with hazardous equipment and materials.
- Cover staff for lunch breaks, vacations, and sick/personal days
The Experienced Candidate
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred or equivalent expertise in Packaging or other relevant fields.
- 3 Years’ experience as a Packaging Operator, preferred
- Forklift Operation
- Safe chemical handling
- Salary commesurate with experience
- Stipend in Tap Room
- Eligible for company health insurance plan
- Eligible for company matching 401K plan
- 5 Personal / sick days a year
- 1-week paid vacation time after first year