Pyramid Alehouse & Brewery - SeattleApply for Job
About Pyramid Brewing Co.
Born in the Pacific Northwest, Pyramid Brewing Co. crafts some of the PNW’s favorite brews from its year-round ales and lagers to the seasonal and Brewer’s Reserve series. In 1984, Pyramid discovered a new way of crafting beer, bringing together adventure, friends and bold new flavors and innovation. Today, Pyramid shares this spirit through its craft beers, and at its breweries and alehouses in Seattle and Portland.
About Portland Brewing Company
Celebrating thirty-one years of passionate brewing in the Rose City, Portland Brewing looks ahead to a future of unwavering obsession over what our civilized world simply can’t live without: great beer. Founded in 1986, the brewery is one of Portland’s craft brewing pioneers and remains committed to the city for which it is named.
Oversee and manage all brewing processes for the Seattle Pyramid Brewery in Seattle, WA, on a 15 bbl 2 vessel brew system with 4 fermenters and 4 bright tanks. Duties include raw material selection, recipe formulation, production, and quality. This position is responsible for brewery budgeting/financial planning, capacity modeling, and production of a consistently quality product. Additionally, you’ll be a primary brand spokesperson and will establish an energetic, knowledgeable presence with current and prospective customers through representation at off-site events, brewery tours, and other on-site events.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Research and Development:
- Awareness of industry trends and new offerings from competition
- Maintain and leverage relationships with hop producers
- Research and explore new ingredients including new hop varieties
- Participate in Craft Business Unit discussions and tastings by phone, and occasional travel
- Lead the development of new products by creating new recipes for innovation beers and coordinated test brews. Provide operational and qualitative input for recipe development. Keep recipes updated and adjusted to meet quantitative and qualitative goals. Create product definitions and recipes, descriptions, standard costs and revision controls.
- Work closely with Portland Head Brewer and the Pyramid Brand Manager to maintain and communicate brewing calendar:
- Support R&D for new product development
- Support small batch needs for the trade and Seattle Alehouse as needed
- Support brews for festivals as needed
- Coordinate with Portland Head Brewer and PMID Brand Manager to maximize utilization of both Seattle brew system and the Portland small pilot system
- Represent Pyramid Brewing:
- Seattle media point of contact (with coordination from brand team)
- Engage consumers in the Alehouse via beer dinners, festivals and other sampling events
- Strong connectivity to the Seattle Alehouse GM and AGM
- Promote Pyramid and NAB at outside events
- Washington Brewers Guild
- Oversee production in the Seattle brewery including:
- Test for and maintain quality standards
- Adherence to all OSHA, regulatory and compliance requirements including TTB filing
- Maintaining accurate inventory of ingredients and FG in ERP system
- Entering transactions in ERP system
- Monitor fermentations and all stages of beer production including packaging
- Manage shipping and receiving of all ingredients and FG
- Adherence to waste water requirements. Establish proper outlet for spent yeast/grain
- Create and be accountable for annual operating budget
- Develop efficiencies to support Triple Bottom Line
- Weekly 1:1 meeting with Portland Brewery Manager and quarterly Continuous Performance Management conversations
- Responsible for comprehensive Standard Operating Procedures with full documentation for brewing and cellar operations including malt handling, wort production, fermentation, yeast handling, liquid transfer, fining, colloidal stabilization, filtration, carbonation, keg cleaning/coding/filing. Develop and revise documentation for:
- Equipment operations
- Cleaning and sanitization procedures
- Safety procedures
- Quality assurance program
- Maintain brewery including:
- Basic PMs and repairs on production equipment
- Point of contact for contracted services (example: boiler inspection and repairs)
- Manage pest control service for brewery
- Maintain cleanliness, housekeeping and sanitation
- Proper storage of chemicals
- Make capex recommendations for brewery improvements
- Short course in brewing from an accredited brewing science school or equivalent experience is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Brewing or related science field and/or Certificate from an accredited brewing science school preferred.
- Certified forklift operator.
- A minimum of 5 years of brewing experience required
- Thorough knowledge of brewing science
- Advanced understanding of brewing science
- Knowledge of raw materials and their effects on wort and beer
- Proven mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of safe chemical handling, safe work operations, safety policies and procedures
- Ability to relate well and articulate messages clearly to people at all levels of the organization and the external community
- Ability to sell ideas to peers and senior leaders and interact well with them
- Ability to make presentations to large and small groups and act as brand spokesperson
- Ability to build relationships with external and internal partners and perform responsibilities in line with corporate values
- Solid organizational and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills to include Microsoft Office
- Flexibility to work evenings, holidays, and weekends as business needs require
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- Requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, to permit the employee to function in crowded physical conditions, climb stairs on a regular basis, stretch and reach on a regular basis, and stand for long periods of time on concrete floors. The brewery environment includes exposure to moderate to high noise levels and exposure to cleaning chemicals. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Background check and drug test required (we don’t care that you smoked pot that one time – but keep it to pot only, please).
North American Breweries is committed to leveraging the talent of a diverse workforce to create great opportunities for our business and our people. EOE/AA Minority/Female/Disability/Vet