Baxter Brewing Company- Brewer
Baxter Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Baxter Brewing Company
Located in a renovated, 1850’s textile mill in downtown Lewiston, Maine, Baxter Brewing Company is New England’s Original Can-Centric Craft Brewery. Baxter’s portfolio of year-round and specialty beers can be found throughout the region and beyond. Already one of the largest producers by volume in the state, Baxter endeavors to become synonymous with Quality and Innovation moving forward. In the last year we have added a centrifuge, counter-pressure filled canning line, 7 BBL R&D brewhouse and will open a 3600 sq ft tap room and restaurant this summer. We are looking to add an experienced Brewer with a passion for cellaring to our production team to help us achieve our ambitious goals for 2018!
This position is responsible for operating Baxter’s brewhouse and cellar equipment to produce quality craft beer to fulfill customer demand. Brewers work on a set schedule which encourages specialty in either wort production or cellar operations but need to have the aptitude and availability to do whatever task is required. Daily operations include wort production, yeast and fermentation management, dry hopping, centrifugation, bright beer production, and quality control work in accordance with Baxter’s procedures for safety, quality and efficiency. Brewers will also work on the pilot system to help develop new products and satisfy demand in the taproom. Assistance with marketing events will sometimes be required. The ability and willingness to work long (up to 12 hour) shifts on a rotating basis that includes nights and weekends is required, as is the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Yeast and fermentation management
- Dry hopping
- Filtering and centrifugation
- CIP of tanks of various sizes, up to 240 bbl
- Quality Assurance & Quality Control checks
- Accurate record-keeping
- Wort production
- Pilot brewing
- Assistance with development of and adherence to procedures to ensure safety, quality, efficiency, and profitability
- The ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Assistance with regulatory compliance
- Emergency maintenance and coordination with the Production Manager and maintenance staff for preventive maintenance
- Assistance with marketing as needed, including occasional attendance at events
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Certification by a recognized brewing degree or diploma program preferred
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong brewing science and engineering understanding
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with employees and the general public.
- Experience in a fast-paced work environment and the ability to multi-task.
- Comfortable with constantly changing production priorities
- Strong reasoning ability and problem-solving skills
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Strict attention to detail
- Ability to adhere to Baxter's safety & quality procedures
- Ability and willingness to work day, night and weekend shifts
- Must be able to repeatedly lift objects up to 55 pounds and move objects up to 150 pounds
- Must be able to work for extended periods standing in hot, cold, wet, loud conditions.
Compensation and Benefits
Baxter Brewing Company offers competitive wages that will be determined by experience. Additionally we offer health/vision insurance; dental insurance; retirement planning with a company match up to 3% of salary; paid time off; a killer work environment; and there’s beer. Complete details are outlined in the Baxter Employee Handbook.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org