Monkish BrewingApply for this Job
Monkish Brewing Co. is a small brewery and Tasting Room located in the city of Torrance in the greater Los Angeles area. Founded in 2012, we focus on Belgian-style and mixed-fermentation beers, spontaneously fermented, oak-fermented, and oak-aged beers, and hop forward beers.
We are looking for a full-time experienced Brewer to join the team at Monkish. This position would be responsible for all aspects of brewing: production, fermentation, conditioning, packaging, and general maintenance of the brewery. Since we make different styles of beers at Monkish, including those with wild yeast and mixed cultures, it is essential to be able to maintain a clean and sanitary brewing environment on a daily basis to avoid cross contamination.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produce wort on a 15bbl brewhouse in a timely and efficient manner
- Closely monitor fermentation and be able to identify quickly any discrepancies
- Dry hopping, yeast management, and harvesting yeast from oak and stainless vessels
- Transfers from stainless to oak in a timely manner with very low DO pickup
- Maintain accurate records of volumes transferred
- Record and complete all paperwork and inventory accurately
- Perform CIP and sanitation operations in a timely and clean manner, sometimes while brewing
- Packaging (canning, bottling, and kegging) beers in a safe, clean, and efficient manner
- Maintain an open dialogue with production staff, owners, and sales staff regarding all aspects of operations
- Punctual and on time for all shifts
- Be passionate and love brewing.
- Treat others with respect and strive for always having a positive attitude and a good time with the people that work here.
- Professional experience only. No exceptions. Minimum ONE year of wort production and ONE to TWO years strong cellar experience, preferably with oak
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Strong sensory analysis skills and knowledge of beer styles
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- Ability to safely operate a forklift
- Strong work ethic
- Effective time management skills
- Ability to efficiently multi-task
- Ability to work flexible shifts, including extended hours and overtime as needed
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate, verbally and in writing
- Work closely with all members of the Monkish team, while also being comfortable working independently when needed
- Must posses problem solving skills in all situations, with the ability to find solutions on your own
- On occasion, you will be asked to help with special releases, special events, and festivals, so a friendly and outgoing attitude is a plus
Brewers are required to regularly lift bags of grain, boxes of hops, and maneuver full kegs for 8+ hours a day. Brewers will climb ladders, climb stairs, drag hoses and pumps, lift oak barrels and puncheons, and work in close quarters behind tanks on a daily basis.
- Competitive Pay
- Benefits package for full-time employees
- A creative environment where new ideas are welcome
If you think you would be a good fit, please send a resume and cover letter WITH the subject heading "Application: BREWER - [YOUR NAME}" to email@example.com OR apply below.
Please do not contact us about your application. We will only reach out to all acceptable candidates to schedule interviews.
Monkish Brewing Co. is an equal opportunity employer (EEO).