Sustainable Brewing Instructor
Kalamazoo Valley Community CollegeApply for Job
Do you possess a comprehensive understanding of brewing and the brewing supply chain, both for local craft brewers as well as for multi-national brewers? Can you take that knowledge and use it to develop and deliver a transformative model for teaching Sustainable Brewing through student engagement? If so, then Kalamazoo Valley Community College may have the ideal full-time instructional position for you!
KVCC is currently seeking full-time faculty members for our collaborative and innovative Sustainable Brewing program focused on brewing science, technology, and environmental sustainability. As a faculty member of KVCC’s Sustainable Brewing program, you will provide program leadership in helping to make KVCC’s Kalsec® Center for Sustainable Brewing Education a success. Our goal is to provide students experiential learning opportunities through high-quality, flexible programs that lead to employment and career advancement.
This full-time faculty member will have teaching responsibilities in brewing and/or related areas, administrative responsibilities related to the Sustainable Brewing program, and will assist with operational oversight of brewing facilities. S/he will have a deep and demonstrated commitment to our mission of embedding elements of brewing science, technology, business, and environmental sustainability within a brewing curriculum. S/he will be knowledgeable about multiple delivery models of instruction, including credit-based coursework as well as competency-based approaches to learning. The ideal candidate must have a strong commitment to building a program based on direct engagement with community partners.
Assignments may include day, evening, and weekend hours and off-campus locations. Full-time instructors participate in general faculty functions related to the education program, in-services and professional development.
While not intended to be an exhaustive list, some of the duties of these positions include the following:
- Preparing and delivering relevant and current curriculum using a variety of teaching methods and standardized tools to accurately reflect effectiveness of course content.
- Measuring student understanding of course content in an objective fashion.
- Posting and maintaining regular office hours for student consultation. Referring students to appropriate resources for information, financial assistance, career development, or other guidance.
- Participation in the college’s faculty success programs.
- Attendance at scheduled departmental and college-wide meetings, faculty orientation, training programs, and committee meetings of which they are members.
- Participation in student orientation and admissions events, open houses, competitions, and professional activities, as well as other events that include the department.
This position is anticipated to start the Fall 2018 semester and is contingent upon final Board approval and funding.Minimum Qualifications:
A minimum of 5 years of relevant employment experience in the brewing industry is required. Candidates for this position must also possess a Bachelor’s degree in a field applicable to the brewing process (e.g., science, engineering, occupational studies).
Strong interpersonal communication skills are required.Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
Certification related to brewing or a Master’s degree related to an area of instruction covered within the KVCC Sustainable Brewing program is strongly preferred.
Experience teaching at the college-level or teaching adult learners along with experience with the development and assessment of courses and programs is desirable.