Fort Point Beer Company - Laboratory Manager
Fort Point Beer CompanyApply for Job
Fort Point Beer Company believes in the value of scientific research to hold our beer to the highest quality standards. This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to not only build a world-class quality department, but to advance the craft beer community’s collective knowledge. We're looking for a talented Laboratory Manager to lead and expand our existing laboratory program.
This position will be responsible for developing and implementing our quality assurance program and will oversee a small team of Quality Technicians. Success in this role means taking an organized and analytical approach to all work. A strong knack for creative collaboration, clear communication, and a constant desire to teach, learn, and solve problems is key.
The Laboratory Manager oversees the laboratory at Fort Point Beer Company and works with the Production department to monitor quality through every step of the production process. This position is responsible for the development, implementation and execution of all required quality tests. The Laboratory Manager should promote a culture of quality to the entire company and be an invaluable resource for scientific knowledge, training and education. This position plays an active role in daily production operations and is also expected to contribute their expertise to improving production processes, maximizing efficiencies, and recipe development.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive quality analysis program based on industry best practices.
- Maintain a professional and organized laboratory environment while training and leading a team of Quality Technicians.
- Responsible for daily analysis of raw materials, wort, green beer, bright beer, and packaged beer.
- Perform routine chemical and microbiological testing on brewery equipment and utilities.
- Work with Production Managers to ensure healthy propagation and maintenance of all yeast strains.
- Develop and improve laboratory SOPs.
- Manage laboratory inventory and provide direction on future equipment purchases.
- Perform and record all necessary equipment calibration and maintenance.
- Accurately record and organize laboratory data and prepare reports as necessary.
- Develop, organize and implement a sensory panel program.
- Propose and conduct research projects and submit to relevant publications.
- Experience using a UV-Vis spectrophotometer, alcolyzer, pH meter, microscope, density meter, qPCR, and other equipment as required.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets.
- Strong knowledge of basic laboratory techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize tasks and handle multiple projects.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve.
- 5+ years working in a commercial or academic laboratory.
- Master’s degree or higher in microbiology, organic chemistry or similar field.
- Brewing industry experience helpful but not required.
- Paid Time Off
- Paid company holidays
- Health Care: 100% Employer contribution to Kaiser Gold plan and 50% for Dependents; Buy-up to Platinum Plan option
- Supplementary: Eligible for Dental, Vision, and Life group plan
- Commuter pre-tax benefits
- FSA pre-tax benefits
- Discounted Planet Granite or other Gym membership
- Beer and Food benefits