Funky Buddha BreweryApply for Job
A lead brewer is responsible for leading and participating in all aspects of the brewing process including brewing, fermentation, cellaring, and finishing, as well as assisting with administrative and organizational duties. This employee must be a hard working, responsible, and self-motivated individual with a passion for craft beer and a desire to continue learning and growing within the industry. The candidate must be someone who leads by example in following procedure and policy, is proactive, and helps to maintain the highest standards of employee performance in the brewhouse. The candidate needs to be ready to be flexible in their schedule, and be available to work long hours if needed to get projects done and meet production schedules. The candidate should also be a sociable person who is comfortable occasionally representing the brewery in public. Natural leadership, integrity, loyalty, and a good sense of humor are all factors in who we hire.
Full-time benefits include health insurance, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, paid holidays, 401K, product allowance, and more as outlined in the employee handbook. Responsibilities include:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Operating brewhouse and producing batches from start to finish
· Assisting in organizing brewhouse operational schedule and projects
· Ensuring continuity of the brewhouse operations, and coordinating them with other aspects of operations
· Ensuring the maintenance and organization of all brewing related notes from brew day through fermentation, finishing, and packaging, and ensuring that these logs are maintained properly by brewing personnel.
· Following SOP (standard operating procedure) in each phase of brewing, fermentation, and packaging, and ensuring that others follow these procedures as well
· Maintaining clean brewing practices in the brewhouse and cellar; organizing cleaning schedules and projects, and making sure they are followed
· Executing and organizing preventative maintenance on all brewhouse and cellar equipment, include detailed maintenance logs for all equipment
· Informing and assisting Maintenance Staff in troubleshooting and fixing items as they come up, and following through to make sure the items are addressed
· Assisting in the design, implementation and maintenance of safety programs throughout the brewery, and leading others to follow the safety guidelines through coaching and good example
· Monitoring raw material inventory; weekly brewing ingredient and consumables inventory
· Daily updating of the Chillertron (glycol control) and Ekos (brewery management software) systems
· Training of new brewhouse employees; assist in cellar training
· Spearheading projects related to brewing operations; planning, organization, execution and completion.
· Must always be finding new ways to improve consistency, organization, cleanliness, and efficiency, and be able to report these strategies, implement and maintain them
· Must always be a champion for following the rules and policies of the brewery, and must encourage this to others, both by example and vigilance
· Assisting in the development of new recipes and improvement of existing recipes
· Plan and brew pilot batches as needed
· Assisting in any other areas or departments where extra help is needed
· Three years experience in a commercial production brewery or high-volume brew pub
· A strong passion for brewing modern American beers as well as the desire to push the boundaries of experimental brewing
· An advanced understanding of all aspects of brewing including cellaring, yeast handling, CIP, and sanitization
· Strong organizational habits, a self-motivated work ethic, and good critical thinking/problem solving skills
· Must have the schedule availability to work long and/or odd hours as needed to complete tasks and maintain the brewing operations.
· Flexibility in terms of hours and a willingness to work night shifts, weekends, and overtime
· Computer literate with an understanding of Microsoft Office/spreadsheet programs
· Ability to multi-task
· Ability to work as part of a team
EXPERIENCE IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING IS PREFERABLE
· An understanding of quality assurance (QA) methods and techniques, laboratory operations, and basic knowledge of chemistry and biology
· Prior packaging, bottling, and racking experience
· Mechanical experience and aptitude
· Forklift operation or certification
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl
· Heavy physical work including climbing stairs, climbing into tanks, pulling hoses, etc.
· Willing to work in wet, hot and cold conditions
· Willing to work in consistently loud environments
· Ability to work safely with potentially hazardous chemicals
· Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 lbs.
To apply, click here: