District Sales Manager- Southern California
Healthy Snack BrandApply for Job
Who are we?
Since its founding in 2004, KIND has been on a mission to make the world a little kinder one snack and one act at a time. KIND was born out of its founder’s desire to create a snack that was healthy and tasty, wholesome and convenient. What began as a line of premium Fruit & Nut bars sparked the creation of an entirely new healthier snacking category. Today, KIND has a family of snacks that offer solutions for a variety of different occasions.
We love making snacks that delight people’s taste buds and fuel their bodies, and we also love inspiring kindness in communities everywhere. As a not-only-for-profit company, we’ve always believed that there’s more to business than just profit.
We’re looking for passionate collaborators to help us become the foremost leader in health & wellness and positively impact society along the way. If you’re looking to be a part of an inspiring, energetic and entrepreneurial environment, you’ve found the right place.
What you’ll do
The District Sales Manager (DM) is responsible for supervising Field Sales Representatives (FSRs) in these markets, frequently in the field providing coaching, communicating/helping achieve company initiatives at store level, results tracking, and feedback for continuous improvement. The DM will also partner with the Regional Sales Manager in the execution of the sales plans, meeting both personal and market-level sales goals. The DM is responsible for a variety of accounts – selling in both at store level and head-quarter level, primarily for natural and independent grocery retailers and distributors in their region. Additionally they are responsible for communicating regional/national retailer promotions to their team and helping prioritize accounts that will have the most impact on KIND’s business. In some markets, the DM will also be responsible to manage brokers and will work with distributor reps frequently. This specific territory includes Southern California, specifically all but not limited to major cities such as LA, San Diego, and Orange County.
Along with the basic sales expectations to grow distribution and display within assigned territory, as the District Sales Manager you will need to focus on these key areas:
- Focus on tactical aspects of the role:
- Sales Planning
- Manage Trade Spend
- Analyze business using IRI data and be able to communicate the information to accounts
- Provide insights as needed
- Collaborate internally to sales and marketing teams
- Account Management of direct and indirect retailers and distributors
- Deliver sales plan & forecast
- Sell in annual plan focusing on new items, promotions and placement
- Analyze promotional productivity and make adjustments as needed to maximize sales while staying within budget
- Communicate plans to retail team to execute against promotional and speed to shelf on new items
- Partner with Field Marketing Team(s)
- Work with distributor reps to ensure seamless delivery of product/ promotional programs to stores
- Potentially manage broker to include:
- Communicating sales priorities
- Measuring accomplishments
- Attending HDQ calls
Leadership or Team Member Management
- Lead Field Sales Reps
- Set SMART goals to align with the Hungry & KIND values
- Quarterly check ins on progress
- Work with/Coach FSRs to:
- Understand & execute merchandising standards
- Identify display opportunities
- Execute plans set up at HDQ level
- Help team prioritize accounts, keeping in mind both regional and company wide initiatives
What you’ll bring to KIND
- Strong supervisory skills, with ability to assess development needs and deliver action plans to optimize performance
- Ability to analyze syndicated data and present insights to support sales objectives in an account.
- Creative and persistent in managing the territory through innovative sales programs.
- Take initiative to build rapport, establish account-specific plans, and achieve/exceed sales goals.
- Experience in negotiating at both head-quarter and store levels to accomplish results.
- Solid communication skills, both verbally to build retailer relationships, and in writing to accomplish follow-up.
- Strong listening skills and adaptability to adjust style and message based on customer cues.
- Work as a team player and partner with Field Marketing counterparts in achieving goals; shares best practices and learns from Sales team members.
- Your ability to identify opportunities to grow distribution (fill voids, present innovation, gain strike zone placement, increase shelf space)
- Your willingness to go above and beyond to grow the business the KIND way
- Adaptable: Multi-task efficiently and effectively prioritize business needs
- Personable: Comfortable talking to customers to establish rapport, build a network, and listen to understand customer needs
- Goal-oriented: Take initiative to establish account-specific plans, and achieve/exceed sales goals
- Fact-based: Ability to analyze syndicated data and deliver insights to support sales objectives in an account
- Team player: Partner with Field Marketing counterparts in achieving goals; share best practices and learn from Sales team members
- Innovative: Use creativity in managing the territory through innovative sales programs
- Genuine in your desire to help make the world a kinder place, committing to always spreading and celebrating kindness
- 5 – 7 years of Sales experience, to include 2+ years of supervisory responsibilities
- Bachelor Degree required
- Experience managing natural/specialty distributors, including an understanding of distributor process and strategies.
- Strong understanding of broker partner responsibilities and ability to manage broker efforts.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally to build retailer relationships, and in writing to accomplish follow-up
- Knowledge with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel and Power Point
- Physically capable of bending and lifting to set up displays, adjust shelves during resets, move product, etc. as necessary during account calls
- Good driving habits are required. Must provide proof of insurance, valid state motor vehicle driver’s license. Job involves heavy daily travel within assigned territory
- Ability to travel across multiple markets on overnights, frequency of 10 to 15 travel days per month.
- Natural industry and/or CPG industry experience with current relationships
- Passion for health and/or natural foods industry
What KIND offers
- Competitive compensation, including equity in KIND!
- Flexible Paid Time Off. Choose what works best for you
- Excellent health, dental & vision insurance, with options to fit you & your family’s needs
- Casual dress code – feel free to wear your KIND gear
- Training & tuition reimbursement program, because continuing to learn matters and we support your development
- A dynamic, ambitious, fun and KIND work environment
At KIND, we are committed to an inclusive workplace where diversity in all its forms is championed. KIND is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we are an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.