Supply Chain Director, Consumer Packaged Goods
Fair Trade USAApply for Job
Fair Trade USA (FTUSA), a four-time winner of Fast Company Magazine's Social Capitalist award, promotes sustainable development and corporate social responsibility. Fair Trade USA is an entrepreneurial, non-profit organization and the leading independent third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the U.S. Our unique market-based model for sustainability links millions of families in the developing world to almost 800 leading US companies through more direct, equitable trading partnerships.
Fair Trade USA is a fast-paced, dynamic environment driven by a passion for doing good in the world. We seek bright, talented individuals who are passionate about our mission. We are social entrepreneurs, flexible and adaptive to change. We value integrity, innovation, idealism and impact.
Overview of Position
The Supply Chain Director of the Consumer Packaged Goods Program will oversee the supply chain strategy development for CPG’s four priority ingredients. He/she will advise on and develop innovations to the Fair Trade model to maximize impact for farmers and workers. The Director plays a key role internally at FTUSA, working cross-functionally to develop three supply chain staff and four field consultants, improve standards and internal processes, and to represent the needs of CPG farmer and worker beneficiaries.
- Oversee strategy development and execution for four CPG priority ingredients, cocoa, sugar, tea, and coconut ensuring that Fair Trade policies, pricing, standards, and initiatives maximize impact to farmers and farm workers as well as business partners.
- Ensures the appropriate and adequate supply and processes are in place for new and existing partners to convert increasing volumes of ingredients to Fair Trade Certified, consulting with producers, business partners, and civil society as needed.
- Advance and inform innovations to the Fair Trade model, drawing on extensive research on and experience with evolving best practices in certification, international development, program implementation, and ethical ingredient procurement.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure producer capacity-building initiatives, e.g. financial literacy, farmer professionalization, income diversification etc., are properly designed, monitored, and evaluated.
- Develop strategy for standardizing producer initiatives and packaging them for use across the organization, involving external partners and expertise as needed.
- Cultivate and steward external partnership opportunities with other global organizations to expand positive impact. The ideal candidate has already or is skilled at cultivating high profile relationships with the sustainability global community, multi-stakeholder platforms, and leaders in the agricultural sector.
- Stay abreast of the sustainability demands in the CPG market and ensure Fair Trade’s initiatives are aligned with and meeting industry needs.
- Educate and advise leading CPG companies on their ethical sourcing strategies, including presenting at industry conferences, attending meetings, and leading education trips to the countries where their ingredients are produced.
- Advise, manage, and mentor three Supply Chain team members at headquarters.
- Contribute to efforts to formalize and standardize organizational approach to field consultants based in Côte d’Ivoire and the Philippines, including considerations around data governance, legal liability, and personnel security.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in agriculture, economics, international development or similar.
- At least 7 years of experience in global program development, with a proven track record of program design and execution in several of the following areas: CSR, international development, third-party certification, agriculture, CPG, supply chain, sourcing and/or compliance.
- Demonstrated success and proven record in managing people and teams globally to implement strategic objectives and meet organizational goals.
- Strong project management skills. Ability to manage multiple projects at one time and collaborate with your peers to achieve deliverables.
- Experience designing and implementing scalable tools and strategies to increase social impact for farmers and workers.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit - takes initiative to problem-solve and provide innovative ideas and program improvements.
- Confident individual leader and contributor, but also excels at collaboration and working as a team player with peers and external constituents to deliver the best results.
- Experience serving as a public-facing spokesperson who can articulate and synthesize complex concepts to a wide range of external stakeholders.
- Strong preference for additional language skills in either French or Spanish.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Salesforce.
- This position is based in Oakland, CA and includes some domestic and international travel (up to 30%).