Fullsteam BreweryApply for Job
Head Brewer - Fullsteam Brewery, Durham NC
Founded in 2010, Durham, N.C.-based Fullsteam is a "plow to pint" brewery that produces 8,000+ barrels of beer for regional distribution and an on-site tavern. We are seeking a full-time head brewer / operations lead to help launch us into our new chapter of growth. Although we’re growing, we’re very cautious with our hiring, investing only in smart people who embody our core values, who are passionate about our mission, and who are generally fun to be around.
In order to evaluate applicants thoroughly and fairly, we're asking candidates to submit their resume and answer a few questions. Your answers on your experience, interests, and career aspirations will help us tremendously as we seek to find the best person for this position.
Obviously, this is a critical role for the brewery. Before completing this form, please carefully review the Head Brewer official job description (below) to assess whether you're a potential fit. If it feels like the job for you, apply with the link below:
FULLSTEAM'S CORE VALUES
Think like an optimist.
Seek truth and beauty.
Speak with quiet confidence.
Listen with empathy.
Be present, productive, and fun.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
• Lead a team that brews Fullsteam's year-round beers and monitor their fermentation.
• Design and brew new specialty offerings.
• Oversee and improve filtration, carbonation, and racking of beer.
• Have an active role in the daily brewing cycle, completing tasks as needed for each brew.
• Use spreadsheets to model workflow and discover how to increase brewing production output.
• Perform consistent walk-throughs of the brewery to inspect for leaks/problems/patches.
• Enforce OSHA and safety compliance.
• Oversee CIP and sanitation.
• Manage production schedule and labor needs based on current and anticipated inventory.
• Ensure that the floorplan and outside area managed by the brewery (chiller, bins) is clean.
• Develop relationships with key suppliers to get best prices, order materials, secure favorable contracts.
• Spearhead and run foraging operations for local ingredients as needed.
• Learn and run OrchestratedBEER.
• As needed, serve as a public and media face of Fullsteam's brewing operations.
• Lead beer education sessions for retail customers and tavern bartenders/events staff.
• Represent Fullsteam at NC Brewers Guild meetings.
• Lead monthly back of the house (BOTH) team meetings to improve communication and efficiency.
• Oversee the quality control/yeast/tasting department; ensure the work is high-quality and accurate.
• Write and manage training manual for new staff.
• Write and manage SOPs for brewery team.
• Interview, hire, and train new brewhouse staff members.
• Manage inventory (raw materials, brewhouse supplies).
• Maintain brewery and production records.
• Oversee QC (lab) from raw material to packaged product.
• Embody and impart Fullsteam's five core values.
• As able, discover, travel, and source new ingredients.
• Get our barrel program working (trading new for used barrels, coming up with new BA recipes).
• Explore the viability of new product extensions (craft soda, sour beer, etc.).
• Scope out the mechanics/infrastructure for major brewery expansion.
• Represent the brewery's needs and concerns when we kick-start Fullsteam's expansion.
• Address and resolve bottlenecks.
• Read, discuss, debate, explore what "Southern beer" is with Fullsteam management and brewers.
• Advanced understanding of all aspects of brewing.
• 3 - 5 years of increasing responsibilities in a commercial brewing facility, ideally brewing 10,000 to 50,000 barrels annually
• Ability to operate forklift, hand truck, pallet jack and other warehouse equipment
• Attention to detail
• Ability to stand for long periods of time.
• Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to lift or move heavy products ranging from 5lb to 165lb.
• Positive “can-do” attitude
• Ability to work in a wide variety of temperatures (30F-110F)
• Desire to make great Southern beer
• Willingness to learn duties as they arise in correlation to growth and expansion