Raw Materials Manager
Deschutes BreweryApply for Job
The Raw Materials Manager will be responsible for managing the purchasing and inventory of direct raw materials (hops, malt, other brewing adjuncts). S/he will work with multiple vendors to determine strategic partners for the business and will be required to evaluate the total cost of ownership as well as to negotiate for optimal purchases. This position will source suppliers based on specifications established by QA and the Brewing teams. Will develop planning and sourcing strategies to leverage current and newly implemented ERP systems. This procurement role will align with company purchasing policies and procedures while maintaining appropriate supply inventory levels for effective brewery operations.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Working with Brewing Team, Just Foods and JOB to autonomously manage or carry out the following for all raw materials:
- Manage hop, malt & miscellaneous material contracts
- Material usage rates, safety stock and inventory levels
- Recipe and forecast management
- Inventory reporting & measures
- Management of offsite vendor inventories, including payment schedules and storage fees
- Relationship development with current and new potential raw material customers, set pricing, negotiation, identify market opportunities
- Arrange transportation of raw materials
- Release appropriate requirements based on production needs ensuring timely delivery of raw materials
- Works with QA and Brewing teams to establish specification and standards for purchased materials, qualify new material suppliers
- Manage and communicate hop processing (pellet/extract) conversion plan with brewing operations and suppliers
- Coordinate pricing and sales of excess materials, suggesting contract adjustments as required
- Active member of hops selection committee and hop quality team
- Collaboratively with QA and Brewing, manages relationships of broker and farms to insure quality and timeliness of availability
- Skilled negotiations on new contracts and renewals
- Responsible for required reporting of hop status, state of the market, inventory and contract values to senior staff
- Follow markets for commodity items to determine proper timing of contracts
- Communication and collaboration with cross function brewery teams
Skills & Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain, Finance, Brewing Science or other related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar role.
- Strong understanding of the brewing industry, specific to raw materials.
- Experience with ERP/MRP systems.
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills.
- Previous brewing/raw materials experience.
- Exceptional relationship building skills. Contacts in the brewing industry a plus, farmers, brokers, etc.
- Strong initiative and ownership. Highly self-motivated, work quickly and efficiently.?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that inspire and build trust resulting in effective working relationships across the company.
- Passion for craft beer!