Idle Hands Craft AlesApply for this Job
Idle Hands Craft Ales, based in Malden, Massachusetts, is seeking a full-time Cellar Person to join our growing team. This individual will be focused on cleaning equipment/kegs and maintaining a clean and organized production floor. The Cellar Person will report to the Lead Brewer and will also serve as the primary person responsible for moving materials and inventory between our new warehouse and the brewery.
- Minimum of a High school diploma or GED/TASC required
- Minimum of 1 year professional brewing experience or successful completion of a professional brewing certificate program. We will consider candidates who have experience working in a craft brewery environment but not necessarily on the production side.
- Flexibility to work varied shifts with advanced notice (e.g. some weekend and evenings)
- Awareness of proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and demonstrated ability to follow safety procedures while operating in a manufacturing environment with industrial and mechanical equipment
- Fork lift certification a plus
- Knowledge of yeast cell counts and pitching rates useful
- Passion and dedication in helping to make great beer
- A discerning and educated palate preferred (e.g. Cicorone Beer Server Certification a plus)
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record
Key Responsibilities include:
- Helping to maintain a clean, organized and safe production environment (e.g. scrubbing floors, cleaning benches, removing trash, etc.)
- Cleaning kegs according to brewery SOPs
- Performing basic cellar operations including conducting gravity readings, temperature monitoring, and dry-hopping
- Cleaning of fermenters and brite tanks according to brewery SOPs
- Packaging finished product (kegs/bottles/cans)
- Maintaining stock of tap room cooler
- Pulling and preparing shipments for distributors
- Receiving, conducting inventory and storing shipments at warehouse
- Transporting packaged beer and raw materials to/from warehouse
Additional Responsibilities may include:
- Delivering beer to local accounts
- Representing the brewery at beer festivals (local and those requiring overnight travel)
- Back-up bartending in the tap room and during brewery signature events
The Ideal Candidate will possess a(n):
- Positive and friendly attitude
- Love for being organized
- Extreme attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills to clearly and effectively articulate with the production team
- Entrepreneurial team spirit: willing to take initiative and jump in where needed; resourceful in making suggestions and offering solutions
- Critical thinking/problem solving skills: ability to quickly assess a situation and solve problems in a timely and effective manner
- Proactive in anticipating potential problems or obstacles, including maintenance issues
- Be receptive to continual innovation and improvements
- Strong safety and quality mindset and diligence in adhering to SOPs
- Possesses mechanical aptitude
- Ability to manage and adapt effectively to multiple, changing priorities
- Effective and efficient time management capabilities
- Dependent independence: ability to work independently but also know when to seek direction/guidance appropriately and as needed
Physical Requirements/Work Conditions: The work environment and physical requirements are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to lift 67 lbs to waist height unaided and 170 lbs with mechanical assistance
- Capable of standing for extended periods of time
- Kneeling, crouching, bending, reaching in uncomfortable positions and for extended periods of time
- Comfortable working in a noisy, industrial environment with exposure to wetness and extreme hot and/or cold temperatures and potentially dangerous chemicals (e.g. strong caustics and acids)
About Idle Hands Craft Ales
Founded in 2010, Idle Hands Craft Ales LLC is a private, family-owned craft brewery based in Malden, Massachusetts. We are brewing traditionalists who focus on transforming simple ingredients into subtle and intricate flavors for all palettes with a focus on Belgian- and German-inspired craft beer. Idle Hands is a locally focused company with distribution in Massachusetts and some limited representation in Vermont.
- This is an entry level position, compensation will be based on experience.
- This is a non-exempt position. Selected individual will be eligible to earn overtime compensation for hours worked over 40 in any given week plus tips earned when working front of the house.
- Pay is biweekly based on hours worked.
- Paid time off
- Branded brewery clothing
- Admissions to limited entry beer and industry-only events
- Weekly beer allotment
How to Apply:
Send a copy of your cover letter and resume with salary expectations and subject line “Cellar Person – Your Name” to email@example.com. We will make every attempt to get back to you but given the sheer number of responses, it may be difficult to respond directly to every candidate.
Note: All hires will be asked to provide professional references and offers of employment will be contingent on the successful passing of a criminal background, motor vehicle and credit check.