Human Resources Manager
2 Towns CiderhouseApply for this Job
Position description last updated: August 23, 2018
2 Towns Vision
We aspire to create craft cider that is accessible to the people, utilizing the most advanced cider making standards, and quality Northwest ingredients, without being afraid to do things a little differently. Much like our product, 2 Towns as a company is fun, unique, and filled with energy. Our crew makes what we do possible, and we are committed to fostering an environment of fairness, empowerment, and security.
2 Towns Ciderhouse is dependent on the sale of cider. In order to achieve this goal, the company depends on ensuring our business meets all areas of compliance regarding employment law, as well as having a dependable, enthusiastic and effective workforce. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for these aspects of 2 Towns Ciderhouse administration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities/Duties: Working in collaboration with our ADP HR Business Partner, the HR Manager will, among other tasks:
- Apply effective Human Resources expertise and best practices to assist managers and supervisors to resolve personnel-related business problems.
- Monitor Human Resources reporting. Analyze data to assess trends and take action to address patterns using the ADP Human Capital Management Dashboard, etc. (available through ADP Resource platform).
- Advise executive management team on best employment practices for the company.
- Ensure ongoing and open communication between owners, management, and employees.
- Maintain and update Employee Handbook and the policies contained within, ensuring that the CEO and ADP’s Employee Handbook revision team have reviewed any new policies that are added.
I. Recruit, Maintain, and Develop Personnel
- Drive execution of selection, hiring, and on-boarding best practices.
- Oversee recruitment process, ensuring that EEOC laws are abided and that all hiring processes are consistently executed.
- Coordinate and perform new hire orientation.
- Assist in gathering and tracking required employee paperwork during on-boarding and off-boarding.
- Drive and manage staff review and compensation processes, improving review forms as needed.
- Design and implement ongoing development training for supervisors.
- Ensure all position descriptions reflect appropriate job responsibilities/tasks.
- Update employee records into ADP databases and other software with current information.
- Review, analyze, and make recommendations regarding performance management.
- Act as a staff advocate; establish and maintain trust by building effective relationships with staff at all levels of the company.
- Communicate with staff to provide basic information as it relates to their employment within the scope of job duties and knowledge.
- Collaborate with department managers on staff relations issues; conduct mediation and/or internal investigations if necessary.
- Review and evaluate all termination requests and corrective action performance management, exercising great care to ensure reasons are well documented and are not arbitrary or discriminatory.
- Maintain responsibility for filing of staff information, and keep staff files accurate and in order.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to all internal customers.
- Manage various HR projects and duties as assigned by supervisor or requested by management.
- Organize and execute semi-annual Staff Appreciation events.
- Organize monthly staff gathering events.
- Design and order annual company photo album.
- Maintain and update job descriptions as needed.
II. Ensure Compliance:
- Understand and apply constantly evolving Federal and State laws in conjunction with the ADP Business Partner.
- Maintain tracking spreadsheet of alcohol servers’ permits, in collaboration with Event Coordinator.
- Perform end-of-year compliance testing for 401(k) program.
- Stay abreast on OSHA requirements to ensure safety; track employee participation.
- Enforce safety policies; lead by example expectations for safety within the workplace.
- Set up annual OSHA consultations and share findings with management/ownership
- Ensure fire extinguishers are serviced each year.
- Participate in, and recruit members for, Safety Committee. Ensure new Safety Committee members receive OSHA-approved Hazard Identification and Accident Investigation training.
- Ensure all Safety Committee Meeting notes, Injury Prevention Cards and SAIF Action forms are shared with staff via Google Drive.
- Manage all aspects of workers compensation, and ensure thorough and accurate filing for workplace injuries (e.g. OSHA 300 Log).
- Enforce safe driving habits, ensuring applicable employees are legally covered by insurance company and have participated in the company’s Driver Training program.
III. Manage Payroll
- Ensure deductions are correctly entered in ADP; corroborate against monthly insurance and gym membership bills.
- Ensure deductions relating to garnishments or company loans to employee are correctly tracked and paid off.
- Prepare and complete monthly payroll through ADP platform.
- Sort and distribute staff paychecks.
- Upload T90 reports to reflect employees’ accrued paid time off.
- Ensure employee bonuses and vacation payouts are administered correctly and in a timely fashion.
IV. Mentor Office and Team Support Coordinator:
- In the absence of the Public Relations Manager, mentor the Office and Team Support Coordinator.
- Work with the Office and Team Support Coordinator to have community presenters speak at quarterly staff meetings, as needed and as time allows.
- Work with the Office and Team Support Coordinator to organize and execute special events and other miscellaneous meetings for the staff.
- Work with the Office and Team Support Coordinator to arrange sleeping accommodations for employees visiting from out of town (e.g. VRBO, AirB’n’B, hotels/motels).
- Assist with the review of the Office and Team Support Coordinator’s semi-annual check-ins and recommend compensation to management based on his/her performance.
- Coordinate with management team availability for scheduling appointments.
- Maintain files of vendor receipts, invoices, and contracts.
- Coordinate agenda with management team for quarterly staff meeting; participate in rehearsal on the morning of.
- Answer phones (light).
- Support the staff and management with a variety of tasks.
- Continuously find ways to more efficiently conduct internal tasks.
- Complete job-related training courses and/or seminars, as required for the job and/or assigned by CEO.
- Proactively research best practices.
- Receive and read SHRM newsletter and HR Magazine.
- Regularly sort and review resumes on file; shred those more than one year old.
- Participate as needed in special projects.
- Additional duties assigned by management.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Must be 21 or older.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field plus five years of increasing professional HR experience, or a combination of HR certification (SHRM-CP or PHR) with three years increasing professional HR experience.
- Glowing work references with a steady work history.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products, Google Drive, and Internet.
- Must be able to occasionally work outside of normal work hours.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Access to a reliable personal vehicle.
- Must be able to drive for longer periods of time (infrequently).
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Previous experience running payroll; familiarity with ADP products a plus, but not required.
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations in a professional manner.
- Honesty and integrity; able to handle confidentiality.
- Self-motivated work ethic; leads by example.
- A take-charge personality; the desire to support business functions from behind the scenes.
- Strong team player qualities.
- Strong negotiation skills; able to build solid relationships with vendors such as insurance and HRIS vendors.
- Strong computer skills and general IT skills to occasionally assist with office equipment (with instruction) when needed.
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills.
- Willing and able to adjust to multiple demands and shifting priorities, and able to demonstrate flexibility.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to occasionally work independently, as well as with colleagues.
- Positive/upbeat personality.
- Strong public speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent problem solving/analysis skills.
- Ability to identify conflicts before they arise and troubleshoot, as needed.
- Enthusiasm to work as part of a dynamic team with diverse personalities and backgrounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; walk; use hands to move cases, reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear; visually count.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The majority of this position will operate in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment. Due to the nature of this position, some work will be done remotely. Travel is almost exclusively done outside of the local area and may be overnight.
Compensation and Benefits
2 Towns Ciderhouse offers competitive wages that will be determined by experience and qualifications. Benefits for staff working 20+ hours/week include health and dental insurance, company-matched, 401(k), Paid Time Off, profit sharing bonus opportunities when applicable, 70% off product purchases, quarterly merchandise stipend, and other discount opportunities.
This position will remain posted until filled. To be considered, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. Please, no phone calls about this position.
2 Towns Ciderhouse is an equal opportunity employer.