Director of Sustainability
Sierra Nevada Brewing CompanyApply for Job
Born from a place of necessity and set in stone as one of our guiding values from the beginning , sustainability has been an all-encompassing characteristic of Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. for nearly 40 years. With our love of mountains, reverence for the outdoors and care for the communities we live in, we have tried our best to always do the right thing, and to share our passion and learning along the way with others. The Director of Sustainability will personify our values and passions and will continue to build on the industry leading work we have done to date, driving this value forward with our people, in our communities and for our business.
- Lead the formulation and articulation of the company’s long-term sustainability vision, mission and operating principles, and lead the development of a high-level strategy to support them.
- Assess the organization’s current sustainability performance and identify and prioritize the organization’s key sustainability opportunities.
- Collaborate with the company’s internal groups (i.e. plant management, engineering, EHS, marketing and procurement) to develop a coordinated sustainability plan. Build sustainability principles into short and long-range business planning, capital planning and operations planning.
- Form and lead an internal Sustainability Steering Committee that will help shape and inform the Sustainability efforts of the company.
- Formulate action plans with defined objectives, targets and responsibilities for the company and the Sustainability Department to support agreed upon sustainability strategies. Work with various departments to incorporate sustainability practices and set conservation and environmental goals. Offer expertise and provide leadership-level support for initiatives to reduce company-wide resource consumption and waste generation.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls and measurement systems are in place to support sustainability efforts.
- Measure and monitor progress against sustainability strategies, objectives and performance targets.
- Secure and leverage senior level commitment and support for integrating sustainable development into core processes and decision-making.
- Develop and manage Sustainability Department Staff and budgets
- Serve as the internal leader and “go to” expert for sustainability, monitoring emerging trends, programs and issues, and communicating and educating others on sustainability topics
- Foster a company-wide culture of sustainability through ongoing organizational communications and education, training and employee engagement.
- Serve as the central external point of contact on the subject of Sustainability as the lead interface with customers relative to their inquiries, their requests for information on company efforts in support of Sustainability, and all written and verbal communications to customers on the subject of Sustainability. As necessary, collaborate with internal subject matter experts and Marketing to ensure appropriate responses and communications. Lead the interface with government agencies relating to the company's responses to questions or statements of position on Sustainability related matters. As necessary, collaborate with internal subject matter experts and Marketing to ensure appropriate responses and communications.?
- Facilitate internal and external communications and visibility as the company spokesperson on sustainability issues. In coordination with Marketing, create and implement communication strategies to publicize the company’s sustainability effort and promote broad awareness of sustainability initiatives, both internally and externally.
- Build effective external partnerships to support sustainability efforts by being a proactive leader in the field, encouraging and supporting Sustainability efforts of external organizations, governmental agencies, other companies and local communities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- BA/BS required
- Advanced degree in related field strongly preferred (e.g. Environmental Science, Energy and Sustainability, Environmental Economics, Engineering) or equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- A Minimum of 5 years of experience in Sustainability related functions is required, preferably in a manufacturing environment. 10 years previous experience is highly desired.
- A Minimum of 3 years of experience managing a team of 4 or more is required, including performance management and succession planning. Five years of previous experience is highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proven problem solving, analysis, and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to assess situations, gauge impact on others, be attentive to non-verbal cues, absorb feedback, and adjust approach
- Exhibits sound judgment, professionalism, and maturity in all aspects of the position
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and assess priorities effectively
- Ability to maintain a long-term perspective while making near term impact
- Excellent interpersonal skills including professional manner/style, listening, written, verbal and presentations
- Highly attuned listening skills, allowing for compilation and understanding of multiple viewpoints.
- Build rapport and cultivate collaborative, cooperative working relationships.
- Works closely and effectively with all levels of the organization including Sr. Leadership, plant managers, Sales and Marketing personnel, engineering and EHS personnel and company rank and file as well as customers
- Consistently exhibits company values in all interactions with colleagues and customers
- Knowledge of key company business practices and processes
- PC skills to include Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates primarily in a quiet office setting with occasional exposure to a manufacturing environment, which may include wet or humid conditions (non-weather), exposure to moving mechanical parts and loud noises, which may occasionally require hearing protection. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- This position requires a valid Driver’s License with an exemplary driving record free of any major violations in the last FIVE years
- Ongoing travel is required, up to 40% at times, between breweries and for external committee or presentation purposes.
- Selected candidate must pass a post-offer, pre-employment background and driver's license check
- You must be at least 21 years of age to work for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
To apply: https://sierranevada.com/careers
** This position will remain open until filled; online applications will be reviewed weekly **
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer