Calvert Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Calvert Brewing Company is one of Maryland's largest and most established craft breweries, with locations in both Prince George's and Calvert Counties. We are committed to brewing a range of quality beers, offering the people of Maryland an option to fit all tastes and situations, whether you're new to craft or the most seasoned of craft beer drinkers. Our list of year-round beers is unique and steadily growing, with specialty beers for every season.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES RELATED TO HEAD BREWER BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Leads all day-to-day activities necessary to produce high quality, consistent beer.
- Lead, Manage, and schedule all production staff.
- Create a world-class QA/QC department.
- Promote an atmosphere of cooperation and teamwork.
- Advocates and Leads a continuous improvement culture throughout his/her team.
- Evaluation and creation of Standard Operating Procedures as necessary.
- Hold self and team accountable for adherence to SOP’s along with maintaining a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment.
- Facilitates future growth of the brewery through continuous optimization of current processes.
- Actively assists in implementation of new equipment and processes.
- Works directly with senior management on new product development initiatives.
- Maintain brewing, cellaring, filtration, packaging and other related documentation in an organized and complete manner.
- Provide hands on relief of all positions as necessary.
- Strong recipe development and understanding of balance.
- Provide leadership in decision making situations as needed.
- Maintain healthy communication with all departments.
- Inventory management of all raw materials, contracted materials, and any assets belonging to the respected department.
- Represent Calvert Brewing when needed with special events for tasting room and off premise events/festivals.
- Must have a strong mechanical background with the ability to troubleshoot and resolve mechanical problems, Brewhouse, canning line, compressors, boilers, and all equipment related to the brewery.
- Become a good shepherd in the brewing community by leading in educational discussions and collaborating within our community.
EXPERIENCE AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- 5+ years of brewing experience, with a history of progressive advancement in leadership or management positions throughout the brewery.
- College degree and certification from an accredited brewing program (a focus in micro, food science or chemical engineering is a plus).
- Strong mechanical and problem-solving aptitude.
- Equipment, cellaring, cleaning and maintenance best practices. SOP development and enforcement.
- Working knowledge of safety, (OSHA) compliance requirements and enforcement.
- Technical and Practical knowledge of all aspects of brewery operations, including but not limited to:
- Supply Chain management for forecasting, scheduling and efficiency metrics (KPI’s).
- Inventory management to include order to cash processes.
- Yeast management, fermentation theory/practice.
- Quality control and lab procedures such as: cell counting/viability testing, D.O., CO2 and packaged beer testing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.