Northern Virginia Farm BreweryApply for this Job
Request for Applications: Head Brewer
If designing beers around the grains, fruits, vegetables, and herbs you had a hand in planting excites you; if you want to brew farmhouse ales on a working farm; if terroir means something to you; if you have the highest standards for quality married with an adventurous spirit and the work ethic to deliver; if you desire getting back to the foundation of brewing, please read on.
Northern Virginia Farm Brewery
The Head Brewer at this Northern Virginia farm brewery an hour outside of Washington, DC will come with all of the skills required to brew outstanding beer from day one. Surrounded by 30 acres of farmland, the new, American-made 10 BBL brewhouse will operate in a century old barn in excellent condition that has been renovated for the brewhouse. The farm brewery will focus on taproom sales, so beyond satisfying on-site customer demand, there are no production quotas or packaging schedules.
Delighting guests with spectacular beer in an unforgettable setting is the singular goal. How will this be done? The Head Brewer will be responsible for all aspects of the brewery’s operations, some of which are highlighted below. The Head Brewer will partner closely with the owners to refine classic recipes, while having creative freedom to experiment and develop new recipes using ingredients available on the farm and from neighboring farms. Some beers will be repeatedly produced, others with the season, and some beers may only be brewed a handful of times, depending on ingredient availability.
The successful candidate will have an innate desire for continuous learning and professional development. The Head Brewer will wear both scientist and artist hats. The position is for a professional and will be given the level of autonomy, responsibility, and respect a professional brewer has earned.
The brewery location offers the best of both worlds: country living on a property founded circa 1832 with access to every modern convenience within minutes and Washington, DC an hour away.
Head Brewer Responsibilities Include the Following
- Formulate and refine recipes
- Develop a barrel aging program
- Provide input to farmer for cropland planting for produce to be used in recipes
- Schedule production
- Manage ordering and inventory of materials from suppliers, local farms, and the property
- Create and document SOPs for all brewery operations, including: ordering, materials storage, recipe development, cleaning, sanitation, production, and packaging
- Move heavy objects (around 50 lbs.) on a regular basis
- Support the hiring, on-boarding, and managing of the future assistant brewer
- 5+ years of professional brewing experience
- Formal brewing education
- Flawless and repeatable execution of classic styles
- Demonstrated brewing creativity across a variety of techniques and styles, including: barrel aging, mixed fermentation, and spontaneous fermentation
- Extensive knowledge of all brewery operations
- Attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
- Problem solver
- Creative thinker
- Ambitious and driven to excel
- Team player
- Excellent communication skills
Salary will reflect the experience and status of a professional brewer. On top of salary, owners will offer the Head Brewer onsite living accommodations in a private, newly renovated apartment during relocation, as needed. The Head Brewer is offered two weeks of paid vacation each year.
The farm brewery is planning a spring 2019 opening.
Please Be in Touch
Interested and qualified candidates, please submit your resume with a cover letter sharing your thoughts on why you are the right person for the job to: email@example.com