Staff Reporter for NOSH.com Covering the Natural Food Business
BevNET.com, Inc.Apply for this Job
NOSH, an online trade publication reporting on the business of Natural, Organic, Sustainable and Healthy foods, is looking for an experienced, hardworking reporter to join our team covering the companies and trends driving this industry. This is a great opportunity for a skilled journalist to show strong writing and reporting chops on a highly visible beat filled with interesting entrepreneurs, innovative products, competitive companies and a fast-paced investment environment.
Applicants must have at least three years of professional journalism experience covering a beat daily, be ready to quickly understand the business of food brands, and to be eager to make the contacts necessary to develop a working set of sources to widen coverage of the beat. Experience covering a business vertical a plus. Note that this is not a review or recipe site -- the beat is on the business of food, and everything that goes into making and selling it.
The growth of Natural, Organic, Sustainable and Healthy foods has upended the way America looks to shop and eat. Those changes are ready-made for the right storyteller: the challenges of expansion, regulation, competition, investment, innovation, changing consumer interests and the industry’s wealth of colorful personalities are all on your plate.
NOSH also produces two industry conferences discussing company growth strategy and also “Boot Camp” events designed to help introduce companies to the food and beverage business. NOSH is a part of BevNET.com, Inc., the leading media company for the food and beverage industries.
Applicants must be able to work independently to develop sources and stories, be able to think creatively about storytelling in a multimedia environment, and be able to produce a solid mix of breaking news and broader enterprise stories on a consistent, reliable basis.
The reporter will be supervised by the NOSH editor and will have a variety of responsibilities. In addition to day-to-day editing and writing tasks. the ideal candidate must be personable and outgoing (comfortable on camera and, at times, on stage), with excellent professional networking skills and passion for understanding the business and supplying information to an engaged audience.
- Filing between 5-10 stories per week, including a mix of breaking news and company, category, product, and individual profiles, trend stories, investigation, and case studies on why brands succeed, fail, or change strategy.
- Screening and posting press release submissions in concert with the NOSH editor
- Gathering and maintaining a database of sources and story ideas -- and pursuing them so that several are capable of being “hatched” at a given time.
- Executing same-day news with perspective and engaging sources beyond a single speaker, when possible. Supplying or locating own sources on an autonomous level.
- Pitching a mix of enterprise and features derived from ongoing stories and new ideas gleaned from sources and research.
- Proposing potential content for live events and preparing the content and the speakers who are involved in a timely fashion, as well as the announcements and marketing of those segments.
- Travel to industry trade shows or to companies to perform video or podcast interviews, as needed
- Journalism (or similar) Bachelor's Degree and at least 3 years of professional journalism experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills, ideally with experience using Wordpress, image editing tools
- Photography and videography experience a plus
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail (we use Asana for task management)
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to pick up new tasks quickly and work with minimal supervision
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience + other standard benefits
- Casual, results-oriented work environment
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
NOSH is published by BevNET.com, Inc., which is the leading media company serving the non-alcoholic beverage, craft beer, and natural food industries., We produce a variety of products including digital content, video, print, and live events. While we've been in business for 22 years, BevNET is still a young company that works hard and has fun doing it. Our work environment is casual and laid back and our team is tightly knit and focused on growth.
Geographic location for this position is in Watertown, MA. While candidates in Boston are preferred, we’d consider candidates in San Diego, California. We cannot hire full time in other states at this time.
If you're interested in applying, please follow these instructions carefully: Please apply using the button on this listing. Include your resume, cover note, and salary requirements. Also, in your cover note, please tell us an interesting packaged food or beverage product that you recently tried and why you found it interesting.
IMPORTANT: WE DO NOT USE RECRUITERS AND ARE NOT LOOKING TO OUTSOURCE THIS POSITION. Third-party inquiries will not receive a response. Thank you for your cooperation.