VP of Marketing
Deschutes BreweryApply for Job
At Deschutes Brewery, we unapologetically make award-winning, damn tasty beer. We are determined to innovate, challenge the status quo, and be thought leaders at every turn. Our company culture bonds us together and creates conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of core values: Love It or Dump It, One Team One Dream, Blow Our Customers’ Minds, Time for Better Is Now, Celebrate, Crafted for Community and Own It! If you are on our team, it means you are part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Deschutes.
The VP of Marketing is responsible for the oversight of all marketing related programs and marketing strategy development for Deschutes Brewery. The successful candidate will be responsible for setting the marketing vision, creating strategies to maximize consumer reach and develop go-to-market processes, with the objective of driving brand awareness, affinity and ultimately consumer pull. This position oversees all marketing efforts including branding and positioning, digital, public relations, media, retail, packaging, and experiential. They will oversee all aspects of marketing for Deschutes Brewery’s brand, current product portfolio, future products, and insights. The successful VP of Marketing will be a creative/strategic partner to the business, an outstanding manager/team leader, have strong brand building experience, a proven creative approach to creating brand identity and be a fiscally responsible business driver in helping to develop Deschutes Brewery’s strategic goals. The position sits on Deschutes’ Senior Leadership team. The position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and works in close partnership with the VP of Sales.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Lead the development and implementation of marketing strategies, objectives, goals, and tactics that support the brand, the business, and financial goals.
- Develop market data analysis tools to evaluate current and future strategies.
- Identify changes in the craft beer/adult beverage market and evaluate, adjust, or redirect strategic objectives accordingly.
- Develop marketing strategies that maximize ROI.
- Collaborate with the sales team to develop innovative sales programs and pricing strategies, build distributor and retailer share of mind, and discover valuable insights on emerging consumer trends.
- Selection and evaluation of external agencies to assist with marketing strategies
- Manage budgets to ensure dollars are allocated and spent efficiently and effectively within budgetary parameters; responsible for maintaining these budgets throughout the year, balancing expenditures against volume, and profitability expectations.
- Lead external agencies through strategy and creative development for fully integrated marketing communications.
- Continuously monitor business and brand health performance using internal and external data resources to identify issues and opportunities to drive both brand development and volume performance.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to a talented team of marketers, ensuring output is of the highest standard with maximum impact.
- Identify progressive opportunities with branding/packaging and new-product initiatives; work with internal and external teams to ensure opportunities are addressed and new initiatives are executed.
- Develop brand strategy, consumer segmentation, targeting, and position of Deschutes Brewery brands, and in the development of innovative product lines. Ensure appropriate qualitative and quantitative research is conducted to support overall brand success.
- Attends conventions, conferences and events; may act as spokesperson for the brewery.
What You Need for this Position:
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree
- 15+ years of progressive experience in brand development within consumer products or beverage/alcohol industry
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills – proven ability to think outside the box
- Proven ability to create and lead high-performing marketing teams as well as lead cross functional teams
- Decisive problem resolution skills
- Extensive budget and project management experience
- Demonstrated ability to set and exceed aggressive goals
- Thrive in a fast moving yet collaborative environment
- Outstanding verbal, written, presentation and influencing skills
- Experience working with senior leadership on complex problems
- Demonstrated knowledge in consumer product research and analytics
And What’s Nice to Have:
- Prefer MBA with emphasis in Marketing
- 4+ years working in Craft Beer