Director of Operations
Boulder Organic FoodsApply for Job
Who We Are:
Boulder Organic Foods LLC is a rapidly growing organic food manufacturer located in beautiful Boulder, CO. We specialize in producing fresh, organic and gluten-free foods which are distributed nationally through natural and conventional retail and food service operators. Following the launch of our first products in 2009, the company has grown rapidly and recently moved into a state-of-the-art production facility in Boulder County, Colorado. Joining our team will offer significant growth opportunities and the chance to become an integral part of an emerging national brand.
What You Will Do:
The Director of Operations provides overall leadership and direction for operations in the areas of safety, administration, supply chain, quality, production, maintenance and engineering, logistics, and plant efficiency. This hands-on position is responsible for driving improved performance, customer relationships, plant asset utilization and positive employee relations. This is a senior role that will directly manage up to 100 employees and mid-level supervisors.
- Assume Total Ownership and ensure the successful operation of the facility.
- Manage all plant resources to optimize profitability and improve the efficiency of manpower, materials and equipment.
- Drive safety initiatives in a proactive manner and promote a safe work environment in daily operations.
- Provide leadership, direction and training opportunities to production supervisors to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Ensure that the production operations follow company standards, policies and practices.
- Formulate or approve short and long-term operating objectives in areas such as cost reduction, quality improvement, new product development and/or integration as undertaken at the plant level; look for continuous improvement opportunities.
- Coordinate plant activities through planning with departmental managers to insure the total manufacturing objectives are accomplished in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain proper staffing levels, employee performance evaluations, and employee coaching and development.
- Maintain existing plant facilities and equipment; implements preventative maintenance programs.
- Ensure that product quality meets established standard.
- Work with Quality Manager to improve quality and food safety results – ensuring that all regulatory and customer requirements are met.
- Possess working knowledge of GMP and HACCP processes, and serve as key member of HACCP team.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- Minimum 8 years’ of experience in fresh food or dairy production plant operations.
- Working knowledge of cook/chill or kettle cook processes is strongly preferred.
- Proficient with general business, ERP and manufacturing software.
- Proficient understanding of budgeting and cost control.
- Proven track record of improved results in the areas of quality, safety, service and cost.
- Working knowledge of GMP and HACCP processes. Experience in a SQF Level 3 facility preferred.
- Experience with government regulatory requirements in the processing of food and ability to work with regulatory bodies such as the FDA, USDA, OTCO, GFCO, OSHA, etc.
- Excellent Communication Skills — efficient and effective oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate at all levels of the organization; builds and maintains strong relationships with peers.
- Strong Analytical Skills — quantitative and qualitative analysis; ability to identify the significant factors of an issue; employ creativity in identifying causes, implications and remedies; demonstrate a balance between theoretical and practical solutions.
- Initiative — ability to work independently; ensure responsive timely follow-up; meeting of deadlines; demonstrate a sense of urgency; ability to prioritize; organizational skills.
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to foster a positive and productive environment.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that fluctuates in response to customer demand.
- Commitment to company values.
- Language skills: Spanish is a plus.
- Reporting to this position: Direct reports include production team, quality assurance, engineering, shift supervisors and warehouse staff.
- Coverage Personnel: CEO, Production Supervisor, Supply Chain Manager, Quality Manager, Plant Engineer
- Competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience EOE