St Francis BreweryApply for this Job
St. Francis Brewery & Restaurant, (SFB) has been serving heavenly food and sinfully artisan craft beer since April 2009. Located minutes from Milwaukee International Airport, (formerly Mitchell Field), 5 minutes from downtown Milwaukee, and the Lake Express which offers high speed ferry excursions across Lake Michigan to Muskegon, MI daily during season.
Our full menu offers something for everyone with numerous items made with our artisan craft beers and sodas. As we approach our 10th Anniversary, having been absent from store shelves for a couple of years, SFB is re-entering the market with 16oz cans to compliment our current draft sales.
We are currently looking for an individual who is passionate, enthusiastic, technically and scientifically sound, with a strong focus on producing the highest quality artisan craft beverages for our company. The Brewmaster will be integral in the development and marketing of various artisan craft beverages in a rapid changing market. The Brewmaster is a key member of the SFB team and will be working closely with the Kitchen Manager, Front of House Managers and will report directly to the General Manager and/or Owner.
The individual we seek must be passionate, outgoing, work well with others, quality and safety orientated, self-motivated, and lead with honesty and integrity. The Brewmaster at the SFB is a very public position which requires him/her to interact with our guests and to host monthly tappings and attend local Beer shows and tastings, conveying that same enthusiasm and passion to the public, to promote our artisan craft beverages as well as the SFB.
So if your tired of the same old boring and monotonous routine and want to exercise your creativity, working in a fun environment, creating recipes for unique high quality artisan craft beers, this may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
Responsible for the leadership of all aspects of the day-to-day operations, development, production and packaging processes of the brewery, including but not limited to:
- Work with SFB Kitchen Manager, Front of House Managers, Marketing Manager and Bartenders to create a synergy between the brewery, kitchen, bar.
- Proficient in both math and chemistry applications as it applies to brewing.
- Manage recipe development and product integrity.
- Creating and managing the current beer list including seasonal offerings.
- Analyses guest metrics and creates effective plan of action to improve beer and beverage quality.
- Write and manage Standard Operating Procedures for the brewery.
- Excellent and effective communication skills.
- Able to work independently and effectively manage one’s own time.
- Maintain a high level of attention to detail; complete brewing process in a safe and efficient manner.
- Keep detailed and accurate records for both Federal and State regulatory filings and business norms.
- Communicate all brewery issues with the General Manager and Owner.
- Strong knowledge of the brewing process, cost controls, accounting and business norms.
- Raw materials acquisition and inventory control; receiving and storage of all raw materials and supplies.
- Manage inventories of beer and raw materials, including grain, hops, yeast and chemicals.
- Staging raw materials, ensuring all inventory and materials necessary are available for production.
- Maintaining the use of standard operating procedures in the brewery and production.
- Proficiency in all aspects of the brewing process, accurately and precisely follow established recipes.
- Complete lab testing and quality control procedures, including but not limited to water quality, yeast counts and O2 concentrations during the fermentation process, monitor gravities, temperatures, and carbonation of beer.
- Malt handling and milling; mashing and wort production; boiling & hopping.
- Perform wort and beer transfers.
- Yeast pitching/management/tracking; fermenting; dry hopping tanks.
- Adhering to brewing, production, packaging, (kegging & canning), transferring, and cellaring and barrel aging procedures,
- Keep brewery equipment clean, sanitized and organized at all times.
- Handling of spent grain.
- Observe and practice all brewery safety procedures and always wear proper PPE.
- Responsible for recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, assigning duties and responsibilities and directing work in the brewery as needed.
- Models professional behavior while creating a warm, fun, friendly, hospitable, and team-orientated atmosphere that encourages EXCELLENCE.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Brewing certificate/degree or Brewery experience.
- Minimum 3 years experience working in a brewer role at an established brewing company with a 7 BBl brewhouse or larger.
- Proven creativity and ability to develop quality recipes.
- Ability to think critically, outside the box and propose new ideas.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and positive team player.
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated with a high degree of integrity and honesty.
- Work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, ability to multitask with excellent time management.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with operational trouble shooting skills.
- Fundamental knowledge of plumbing and machinery mechanics, e.g. brewery equipment, coolers, Glycol Chiller, etc..
- Valid drivers license free of any major violations in the last three years.
- High level of proficiency of Microsoft Office.
- Must able to stand and or sit for prolonged periods of time and walk; use fingers, handle, or feel objects; reach with hands.
- Use arms above the shoulder is required, work overhead over the course of several hours.
- Good manual dexterity, ability to move hands, arms, grasp or assemble.
- Able to sit, stand. Bend, stoop, crouch, crawl, kneel, lift, turn, pull/push while working.
- Able to climb a ladder, ramps, stairs; balance, work on a ladder, and in small confined places.
- Able to work in confined, wet, hot, and/or cold environments.
- Regulary lift or carry 60 Lbs and manipulate and/or move 165 Lbs.
- Work on floor surfaces that may vary from concrete, tile, carpet or rubber mats.
- Able to work indoors and outdoors on wet floors or ground with wet equipment.
- Able to work within a loud to moderately continuous noise in the work area.
- Good vision, including close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Willingness to work with strong and often hazardous chemicals.