Riverside Natural Foods Ltd. (Home of MadeGood)Apply for this Job
Position: Director, Marketing
Reporting to: President
· Marketing Coordinators (3)
· Assistant Brand Manager
· Trade Marketing Specialist
· Senior Graphic Designer
The Director, Marketing has primary responsibility for the development and execution of the marketing strategy for all Riverside brands to achieve brand recognition in North America and Europe and support of the Company’s objectives for growth. This position works closely with the senior leadership team to translate desired business results into marketing plans.
Specifically, the Director, Marketing plans and executes all marketing activities in support of the Company’s objectives for growth, including e-commerce management and growth, and product development.
The Director, Marketing develops strategy and manages partners who execute Earned and Paid Brand Communication (Advertising, PR, Digital Presence, Interactive Marketing, Social Responsibility partnerships) to create opportunities for increased market visibility, growth of Brand Awareness and sales growth. In addition, the Director, Marketing oversees the marketing team in supporting Sales through the Execution of Trade Shows and Retailer in-store programs and creates, maintains and updates all marketing materials, in store POS materials and sales tools.
Passionate about nutrition, our Director, Marketing will have an immediate connection to our mission of producing transformational food products that are organic, allergen-friendly, deliver nutrition, and taste great. You will also be passionate about producing products in a sustainable manner, giving back to communities, and authentic brand connections and values-based initiatives.
Highly flexible, creative and energetic, you have an entrepreneurial mindset and are able to adapt to changing situations in a fast-growing company. You are a ‘hands-on’ manager, able to think strategically while executing marketing activities under extremely tight timelines for the fastest speed to market in the industry. You are a creative problem solver who can envision marketing execution and also write, design Brand assets if needed.
You will manage a team and participate in executing the strategy to build brand presence and bring our brands to life through creative campaigns, e-commerce strategies, offline strategies, community, and more. Your background includes 10+ years’ marketing experience driving growth on natural and/or emerging brands in the food and beverage industry.
- Be a key ambassador of Riverside’s vision, mission, and overall business strategy and a role model for the company’s values and culture; inspire and motivate people; continually work to enhance culture.
· Network and build relationships inside and outside the industry to maximize opportunities for Riverside Natural Foods and all brands.
- Develop and lead processes that facilitate teamwork, communications and effective decision-making across the marketing team and collaboratively with other teams at Riverside.
- Champion consumer-centric brand-building best practices.
- Create and maintain an environment of partnership and collaboration with sales, production, and with other departments to assure the attainment of overall company goals.
- Promote taking measured risks to address opportunities for stretching the business.
- Work with senior leadership to translate desired business results into marketing objectives. In collaboration with the President, Director, Sales (Canada) and Director, Sales (US) develop a strategic marketing plan which includes: corporate and brand positioning, customer segment marketing and penetration plans, and other marketing-led initiatives to achieve objectives for revenues, share, and margins.
· Support product development through market research, trend identification, review of consumer feedback/information, and communicate insights and action to all stakeholders.
· Gather and disseminate information internally to facilitate research and discussion to generate new product ideas; bring together internal expertise and internal/external ideas
· Facilitate information sharing and research to identify new markets
· Respond quickly to address competitive marketing dynamics and develop strategies to address them; identify strategic, incremental opportunities that present themselves.
- Engage with industry counterparts on allergen-friendly / better for you /nutritional products, strategies and trends.
· Direct daily marketing activities and develop procedural guidelines
- Provide hands-on development, oversight, and execution of go-to-market plans and brand marketing including online and offline marketing campaigns, new product launches, creative briefing, media planning, public relations, promotions, trade shows, community outreach, and more:
o Development and execution of all Brand primary and secondary packaging materials and in store materials.
o Create marketing tools (packaging, brochures/flyers, logos, SWAG, etc.)
o Create advertising for MadeGood, GoodTo Go Brands
o Create Public Relations campaign(s)
o Create sales tools (sell sheets, event participation, samples, etc.)
o Manage social media & outreach; coordinate product endorsements and testimonials to maximize Earned Media
o Manage website(s) content & functionality, direct third-party contractors (e.g. web designer)
o Coordinate Company participation in trade and consumer shows to maximize exposure and build brand recognition
- Direct, manage, and develop external strategic relationships and manage partnerships with all agencies/external suppliers (agencies, contractors)
- Collaborate with sales, operations, and production to align campaigns with product release and/or business development opportunities.
- Act as spokesperson for the company with the media, at industry events, etc.
- Develop the marketing budget and oversee / approve monthly marketing spends; responsible for Profit & Loss (P&L) management; assess and address risks and opportunities to adjust the marketing plan when required, and lead decision making with regard to P&L tradeoffs.
- Develop benchmark criteria to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of marketing programs; proactively utilize marketing mix/ROI (known as “ROMI” Return on Marketing Investment) assessment tools to continually improve marketing spend efficiencies. Prepare regular marketing reports to identify ROMI of various marketing activities; present monthly updates on marketing activities to the senior leadership team.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on monthly forecasts; identify and help resolve sales gaps.
· Direct marketing staff and perform all necessary supervisory functions to effectively manage the marketing team: monitor, train, coach, performance management, etc.
- Facilitate an environment that fosters strong team dynamic through success recognition, team empowerment, active coaching, staff education, and project orientation / training.
· Participate in regular meetings, complete administrative duties as necessary
· Support the Management Team with special projects as required.
· Other projects or duties as assigned
- Minimum of 10 years B-C brand-building and brand marketing experience in a CPG manufacturing/food industry with national presence and integrated marketing strategy including advertising, consumer promotions and customer partnerships.
- Minimum 5 years of direct people management and development; proven track record leading cross-functional teams toward a common goal.
- Minimum 5 years management role with P&L accountability.
- Strong understanding of food industry in Canada, the US and Internationally.
- Experience in natural and organic category and small brands an asset; familiarity with Riverside Natural Foods & competitor Brands and manufacturing capabilities (an asset)
- Experience working with business and industry press; effective public speaking skills and presence.
- Experience building brands in different cultures/markets.
- Experience managing external agencies.
- Proven track record for creative development and execution of marketing programs.
- BA in Marketing or related business field (MBA an asset)