Firestone Walker Brewing CompanyApply for Job
Firestone Walker Brewing Company began as a small brewery with roots in the wine country on California’s Central Coast. Now a regional craft brewery, our singular purpose remains – to craft the world’s best beers. Passionately in pursuit of the perfect beer… and never satisfied.
The Quality Technician is responsible for duties in several areas of Quality Control/Quality Assurance. This position will perform duties in Analytics, Micro, Sensory Analysis and Packaging. The ideal candidate for this position has some prior lab or brewery experience. The position is full time and will include weekends with flexibility for early mornings or late nights.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Specifically, the responsibilities of the position may include, but are not limited to:
- Run routine testing, such as; Bitterness units, color, VDKs, Alcohols, end gravities, pHs, etc.
- Complete package testing for CO2, TPO, DO, HSO, AE, alcohol, density, pH, bottle fill heights, crimp checks, secure seal, seam checks on cans, kegs and sample collection
- Perform microbiology testing; including spread plating, membrane filtration, media preparation, plate keyout/identification.
- Maintain QC databases; including but not limited to data entry, record keeping, trending, data analysis and follow-up with brewing and cellaring teams
- Set up and run daily sensory panel
- Complete sample collection for fermentation and brewhouse testing
- Provide sterile sample containers to packaging staff for micro sampling
- Ensure micro supplies are maintained correctly in order to ensure sterility before use
- Ensure general cleanliness of lab and instrumentation; perform routine maintenance on laboratory equipment and troubleshoot analytical issues
- Work safely and maintain a clean, safe working environment at all times; understand hazards and utilize the appropriate personal protective equipment
- Maintain all SOPs
- Other duties as assigned by QA/QC Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Food Sciences or related field with a minimum two years of college level chemistry
- Two years of prior lab experience ideally in a brewery or similar environment
- Attention to detail, ability to produce accurate, precise and reproducible data
- Flexibility in shift schedule
- Understanding of scientific principles for quality control and quality assurance
- Ability to perform mathematical and statistical analysis
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Familiar with standard laboratory instrumentation; pH meters, spectrophotometer, GC, centrifuges, autoclave, microscope, etc.
- Ability to operate in a team environment and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to take initiative, act promptly and be proactive
- Ability to operate and use a PC computer, proficient in Microsoft Office suite of programs
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects and tools. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and rarely lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and color vision.
What Firestone Walker Offers:
- Competitive pay rate for an experienced individual with the right skills.
- An excellent benefits package including:
- 100% paid premiums for employee including medical, dental, vision, & life insurance
- Accrued PTO (rate of 13 days per year)
- Accrued Sick Leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked) 24 hours max usage per year
- 401(k) retirement plan including company paid profit sharing & matching
- 8 paid holidays per year
Please submit your cover letter and resume with your work experience when applying.
Firestone Walker is an Equal Opportunity Employer.