Tasting Room General Manager
Kilowatt BrewingApply for this Job
This exempt position reports to our CEO and COO and will supervise all retail operations at our tasting rooms.
ABOUT KILOWATT BREWING:
Kilowatt Brewing is known for producing eclectic beer styles and providing customers with unique and stimulating experiences in our one-of-a-kind tasting rooms. Creative and interactive lighting permeates throughout the brewery and taprooms featuring rotating artwork created by local artists, along with an extensive collection of black light art that customers can enjoy with or without provided special 3D glasses, hand-built glass infinity mirror rooms, and other unique art installations. Specialty programmed LED lighting allows us to change the lighting color and mood in real-time. Custom-built giant versions of modern, classic, and obscure games of skill are also a trademark of Kilowatt’s tasting room experience. The brewery and tasting room are located at 7576 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard in San Diego. A second tasting room is located in Ocean Beach. A third tasting room will be opening early summer 2019 at 406 Mission Avenue in Oceanside. All three tasting rooms typically have 20+ beers on tap which are open 7 days per week. The brewery currently operates a 7 BBL brewhouse with 15 BBL fermenters. www.kilowatt.beer.
Kilowatt Brewing’s organizational culture is one of teamwork, collaboration, and respect for everyone. We strive to make our employees feel they are part of a close-knit family and seek new team members who also embrace these values.
Under the direction of the CEO and COO, the Tasting Room General Manager is responsible for overseeing efficient execution of retail sales operations at Kilowatt Brewing’s tasting rooms in San Diego County, including food service operations at our Oceanside location. This includes management of all the internal and external resources necessary to meet retail sales and profitability targets as well as ensuring guests receive the best experience possible. Additionally, the Tasting Room General Manager is responsible for the safety, development, training and growth of the tasting room staff as well as continually driving efforts to improve processes and guest experience.
The key performance indicators for this position are: customer experience, revenue, contribution margin and inventory turnover.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruit, hire, train, motivate and manage all tasting room staff
- Assist with preparing our new Oceanside location for its grand opening, which includes a small kitchen with food service
- Manage all food service-related requirements at our Oceanside location, including ordering and maintaining proper inventory of all food service items, ensuring a clean and organized kitchen that exceeds all Health Department requirements.
- Maintain proper supplies of beer, food, merchandise and operating materials
- Assure accurate inventory of beer, food, merchandise and supplies
- Ensure all taps are well maintained and pouring appropriate selection of beer
- Ensure quality of beer and food available in tasting rooms meet the company’s high standards and notify management of any issues or inconsistencies.
- Manage cold box organization and cleaning
- Manage local suppliers and vendors (e.g. food trucks, bar supplies, etc.)
- Develop, maintain and enforce standard working procedures
- Maintain complete and accurate daily records and reports
- Ensure a safe work environment and provide safety training
- Ensure continued compliance with local and federal regulations
- Schedule personnel to fulfill tasting room needs
- Schedule, staff, and maintain tasting room events calendar
- Coordinate in-house events, including private events, art installations, art receptions, charity fundraisers, new beer releases, and other special events and promotions
- Coordinate external events, including festivals and charity functions
- Maintain close communication with social media team to ensure upcoming events, releases, and other important announcements are posted in a timely manner
- Implement operational business improvements
- Manage daily cash receipts and deposits.
- Respond to information requests from the public in a timely manner
- Maintain a clean, safe and well-organized work area
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 5+ years of relevant experience including restaurant and bar management
- Proven ability to manage, train, and motivate restaurant and bar staff
- Proven ability to execute an exceptional customer service experience
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
- Ability to maintain detailed, accurate records
- Good critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Enthusiasm and strong personal knowledge of the craft beer industry
- Extensive knowledge of basic brewing process
- Knowledge of basic brewery operations (packaging, filtering, cellar, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of advanced serving techniques
- Extensive knowledge of draught system operation
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and accomplish a variety of tasks or demands
- Ability to manage projects and complete tasks by meeting timelines and goals
- Ability to work well independently and collaborate effectively with a team
- Ability to change tasks quickly and be flexible
- Extensive knowledge of POS systems
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office
- Level 1 Cicerone Certification or higher preferred
- Ability to stand for up to 8 hours at a time
- Ability to regularly lift or push up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to occasionally lift, push, or pull up to 170 pounds
Employee frequently works in a brewery environment with a moderate amount of noise and activity. The work environment is fast-paced and demanding. The Tasting Rooms are open evenings and weekends. The working hours for this position are aligned with Tasting Room hours. Evening and weekend work is required and expected. Kilowatt currently has three tasting rooms, one in Kearny Mesa, one in Ocean Beach, and one in Oceanside expected to open in June 2019. The Tasting Room General Manager will oversee the operations of all three tasting rooms, but will be expected to be onsite at the Oceanside location approximately 3 days per week, approximately one day per week at the Kearny Mesa location, and approximately one day per week at the Ocean Beach location.
Kilowatt Brewing is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
***Interested? Please respond with your cover letter, resume, salary expectations and your favorite beer! email@example.com