Head of QA/QC - Quality Management
Dixie BreweryApply for this Job
The Dixie Beer Quality Manager will be responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of a comprehensive quality program encompassing in-process and finished beer, raw materials, and beer-in-trade. In addition and in concert with the other department heads, he or she will champion a culture of “Safety and Quality First” in all aspects of day-to-day operations. The Quality Manager will be hands-on completing daily testing and analysis as well as building and leading a team.
- Work with Director of Brewing Operations and brewhouse teams to develop and implement a comprehensive analytical, sensory, and microbiological product testing schedule.
- Create and maintain QC databases
- Ensure general cleanliness of lab and instrumentation; perform routine maintenance & calibration on laboratory equipment, troubleshoot analytical issues and maintain consumable inventory levels
- Work safely and maintain a clean, safe working environment always; understand hazards and utilize the appropriate personal protective equipment
- Maintain and ensure rigorous adherence to all quality standards, specifications and brewhouse SOPs
- Install and commission analytical equipment as acquired in lab and production environments.
- Create standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for testing methods; Run routine analytical analyses on beer samples including: pH, gravity measurements, alcohol, sodium, and other analytical tests.
- Build and lead a skilled quality team to compliment and support the growth of the brewery
- Using Statistical Process Control tools analyze data to identify potential “out of control” processes and recommend corrective action
- Work with vendors to ensure all raw material quality expectations are met
- Maintain all analytical equipment in a reliable operational state
- In conjunction with other department heads, ensure a safe work environment for all employees; this includes OSHA compliance, conducting safety audits, maintaining up-to-date MSDS sheets, etc.
- Recommend annual budget and ensure conformance to target
- Perform various studies and perform statistical analyses to improve quality throughout the brewery.
- Perform all aspects of microbiological testing to include HLP, UBA, LCSM, LWY on cellaring and packaged beer.
- Perform microbiology testing; including spread plating, membrane filtration, media preparation, plate identification.
- Perform all aspects of testing on wort, yeasted wort and fermenting beer to include force tests, Ph, specific gravities, CO2, O2.
- Complete ATP testing on clean tanks.
- Perform all aspects of physical package QC to include examination of incoming packaging materials and seam testing.
- Provide sterile sample containers to packaging staff for micro sampling
- Perform all aspects of CIP and COP materials to include testing of causticity, temperature, Ph and other CIP material concentrations and parameters.
- Perform all aspects of raw material QC to include hops, yeast, malt, water and specialty items.
- Record, organize, track and analyze data from all lab testing.Sensory Evaluation
- Set up and lead sensory evaluation panels daily to include duo trio, triangle, two out of five and DFC to ensure beers are brewed to spec, flavor match between breweries and detect off-flavors
- Train all employees on off-flavor detection and identify and utilize strengths and weaknesses of individual employees.
- Evaluate raw materials to include rubs, chews and visual inspection.
- Record, organize, track and analyze data from sensory evaluation program
Maintenance and Upgrades:
- Diagnose lab equipment failures or malfunction and repair when possible.
- Ensure all equipment is calibrated to manufacturer spec and as needed.
- Keep the overall facilities clean and clutter free.
- Continually research procedures new and old, develop budgets, implement and execute to include qPCR, MS, GC.
- Weekly summary reporting requested on all findings (failures and non-failures) to Director of Brewing Operations with recommendations for remedies.
- Assist in training brewery personnel on QC procedures and equipment.
- Assist in special project work to include developing new beers for market.
- Work with QA and brewery team to determine root cause and possible solutions for analytical issues.
- Provide leadership, planning and direction to interns and QC team members.
- Must be able to operate a forklift and pallet jack.
- Passionate about craft beer
- Minimum of three years in a brewing QA/QC leadership role
- Proficient in ASBC and EBC analytical methodologies
- Bachelor's degree in a science-intensive discipline (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, etc.)
- Strong technical understanding of the brewing process and able to troubleshoot process issues
- Takes pride in their job and exudes a positive “can do” attitude; Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Goal oriented and able to enroll others in attaining those goals
- Very organized with great attention to detail
- Level-headed, even-tempered, team player who is comfortable with controlled chaos
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (experience with ERP software a plus)
- Strong technical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be flexible to work day or afternoon shifts, available weekends
- Understanding of the brewing and packaging process, HACCP and Good Manufacturing practices for food manufacturing a plus.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Dixie Brewing Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for candidates and employees regardless of their membership in any protected classifications. Dixie Brewing Company will not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, color, sexual orientation, gender, age, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or any other legally protected class under applicable federal, state, or local laws. This anti-discrimination policy applies with respect to all employment decisions, including but not limited to hiring, promotion, discipline, and discharge. Dixie Brewing Company is committed to equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in compliance with the Americans Disabilities Act and state law. If you feel you need an accommodation for a disability, please inform us. Requests for accommodation will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If you request an accommodation, it is essential that you participate fully in the interactive process.