Head Brewer with cider experience
ERIS Brewery and CiderhouseApply for this Job
Eris Brewery and Cider House –
ERIS Brewery and Ciderhouse established in Feb 2018, is conveniently located in Old Irving Park, Chicago IL, right off 90/94, the blue line and metra stop at Irving Park Rd. ERIS is both a cider house and brewery that was opened in an old Masonic building that was built in 1910. Our beer and cider are award-winning nationally, it is the first woman ran brewery in IL along with the first cidery and brewery combo in the state. The pub caters to vegan, vegetarians, carnivores with American pub fare starters, hand-held and entrees. We also distribute to a small handful of accounts in the surrounding area with our cider in 7.75 gallons and we are looking for the right individual who will help us create a team that will assist in future expansion.
Position requires good time management, communication skills, project management, and people skills. Must be able to multi-task and stay focused on objectives. It also requires planning and scheduling of workforce and production. Troubleshooting and process improvement will be a constant demand. This position is building and creating consistency of current recipes and new. New beginnings allow the Liquid Head to have the empowerment of starting and envisioning a brewery/cider house that will service current facilities and has the ability to forecast future volume.
Relationships and Work Environment: The work environment is a self-managed position with weekly structured direction and communication with the director of operations and managing partners. The Eris operation has a well-rounded management team that works together to meet company goals. We are as passionate at making beer and cider as we are in developing a strong team that can create a good path to expansion in the future.
Decision Making/ Responsibilities
- Responsible for the entire brewing and cider fermentation with quality control processes and hence should be well versed in scheduling, brewing, cellaring and packaging operations.
- Recipe development; create innovative and great tasting beers and ciders.
- Manage raw materials, inventory control, scheduling and hop, and juice contracts.
- Sanitary sampling, yeast cell counts and record keeping of all beers and ciders produced.
- Cellar operations including DE filtration, cross-flow filter, tank transfer, sanitation procedures- update and create any SOPs needed.
- Equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Maintain inventory costs weekly, manage the 1/4bbl fleets and manage empties back from the wholesaler.
- Calculate all reports that are mandatory for the finished product to be reported to the TTB- and Federal agencies.
- Strong verbal communication and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as managing a team of employees.
- Hands-on leadership skills, that can develop and manage a strong team for the liquids department
- Good understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem-solving skills and to troubleshoot any beer/cider related issues.
- Manage client & vendor relationships.
- Experience in operating a material lift
- Maintain equipment with the assistance of maintenance staff and outside contractors.
- Maintain a safe working environment in the brewery for employees and guests.
- Participation in events, festivals, promotions, brewery and cider tours and to be the respected face of Eris Brewery and Cider house.
Knowledge, Experience & Qualifications
- Minimum of four or more years of professional brewing experience and 1-year professional cider fermentation in a production/pub brewery and or cidery.
- An energetic, positive innovator that is looking to create future products and expand relatively small establishment by establishing a confident team.
- Experience with an automated brewhouse, cellar, and cips preferred.
- Experience with wort and champagne yeast according to apple juice fermentation.
- Brewer Certification or Fermentation Science education preferred but not required
- Ability to work well in a team environment and independently
- Motivated by a passion for the brewing and cider creating quality beer and cider
- Comprehensive understanding of brewing science, wine fermentation production, and cellar operations
- Comprehensive knowledge of all brewery and cider mechanical and supplies is preferred.
- We offer a competitive wage
- Paid Vacations
- In house account
- Training opportunities